Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which Egg should I get?

Options
Steve
Steve Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to get a BGE soon. Which size should I get? I currently use a 22.5 inch kettle grill and a medium sized gas grill now (mainly for making sauces). I plan on cooking everything. [p]Also, any good sources/prices on BGE's on the Internet?

Comments

• bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    Steve,[p]Million dollar question.......Large
  • Steve,
    This is not what you want to hear, but plan on getting two of em, if not now, get the 2nd later. You need the large for whole hams and large turkeys and if your like most folks you wouldn't want to be restricted on those during the holidays. That said though I believe if I had it to do over, I would get the small first because you can cook a lot of stuff on it and you'll end up cooking a lot more often. For example , you won't hesitate about dumping a little fire starter on an already existing bed of lumb and fix you and the wife a steak and nothing else.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Chet ,[p]Well thought out. Like many people, I got a large first and a small second. I find now, 2+ years into "the game", that I do 80+% of my cooking on the small, using the large for big cuts, baking bread and pizza, etc.[p]Ken
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    LOL
    Ken,
    I have Mr. Large (my first) Mrs. Medium and Miss Mini plus one #1 K I still use Mr. Large the most, it may have something to do with the fact that they all are sitting on the concrete patio and Mr. Large is the tallest.[p]I'm revamping Miss Mini, she will be a "smoken" little gal when I'm done with her. LOL[p]Cheers Ken,
    New Bob

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Steve,
    You're used to a 22.5 inch grill, get the large egg, it is as close as you can get, it's 18 inches. As stated you will get a second egg at some point.[p]I'm single and have 3 egg's, but I'm kook.[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• BunkyRub
    Options
    Steve,
    Similar to you I had been useing a 22.5" kettle and recently faced the same decision you are trying to make. I narrowed it down to either the medium or large BGE. I ended up going with the large and have not regretted it one bit. I believe the extra capacity is worth the additional $100 to $125. I think the medium would have been OK, but ultimately I would have second guessed whether I should have gone with the large. I have only had the BGE for about four weeks, but am thrilled with everything I have cooked. I believe you will be very pleased as well.

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Steve,
    The funny thing is that there is a 79.5% chance of you owning more than one. Don't worry, you'll be in the majority!!!!
    I met my first egg on the porch of the house I was renting in Atlanta. Stared at it for month, too scared to cook on it. One day I sucked up some liquid courage and the rest is history. That was a small egg. I cooked on it for a year. I then moved to Tampa. Soon after, I realized I had no egg. I was torn too, small or large, medium was never an option for me. I chose large for the simple fact that there were times on the small I wish I had more room. I never recall saying to myself "man I wish there was less room on this thing!".
    With that said, I did miss my small and just bought one last Eggtoberfest. I'd say I use them both equal amounts.
    Look at the bright side..... your in a win/win situation!!![p]Good Luck
    Billy

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Jawjajoe
    Options
    Steve,[p]Nuff said... Large...
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Steve,
    Large first, small second..then a mini..LOL
    seriously, if you can handle the cost a large is the way to go if your only gonna own one...HTH[p]Wess

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    Steve,[p]BeerMike says ...... Large
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    Options
    Steve,
    Maybe it's just me, but I was pretty underwhelmed by the size of all the eggs, even the large when I bought it. Any grill I owned prior to it was at least as big, if not bigger. Don't take me wrong though, I am totally in love with my large egg. Frankly, there have been times I wish it was larger. OTOH, there have been more times than not when it was bigger than I needed...but that's probably a guy-thing more than a practical issue and I've never been bothered by that "inconvenience." Bottom line for me: I love the large (including its well-documented dragon-like characteristics further popularized in our egg culture through the alliterations (I don't think I spelled that right) by Stumpbaby. If they ever make a bigger egg, that will be the second one I'll buy. I have not benn compelled to get a smaller one...I guess I just like to waste lump...or...I just love the smell of lump in the morning!

• WDAN,[p]If they make it much bigger, it'll weigh so much it'll take a crane to open it... LOL[p]MM
  • Blaze
    Blaze Posts: 32
    Options
    I'll second WessB's thoughts on that. I started with a large and just last weekend went to the BGE store and picked up a small. Very versatile set up. Good luck, you can't go wrong either way and as mentioned you probably will end up with more than one anyway! ~:^)
  • wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    Options
    MapMan,
    My neighbors already think I'm a tad skewed from center. Wouldn't they be impressed with my new crane! lol.[p]After thinking about this a bit more, I realized the size issue mainly becomes a factor for me when doing indirect cooks. That's when I seam to be wishing I had a tad more usable grill surface.

• WDAN,[p]My neighbors are skewed, so I don't care if they think I'm nuts. Yes, they actually were mowing their lawn at midnight, him on a riding mower, her pointing with a flashlight, in a downpour...[p]A couple of butts on the grill takes up a lot of real estate. But, with a grill extender you can almost double the capacity. It's amazing what some creative individuals on this forum have fit in their large eggs.[p]MM