Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Egg in hole protector?

valrunevalrune Posts: 134
edited 12:11AM in EggHead Forum
I have my egg in a table that has a tile top, is there a preferred "buffer" between the egg and tile to prevent chipping when rolling the table around? I have thought about using a heat resistent gasket but it would have to be weather proof. I have used wooden shims but they tend to fall out. Any other sugestions?
[img size=150][/img]100_1215.jpg
notice the gap between the egg and the hard tile.

Comments

• valrunevalrune Posts: 134
    And I thought that I had a hang of this pic stuff :blush: .
    Anywho, its about an 1/8th" to a 1/4" inch gap around the egg base. Just trying to prevent any unnecessary damage. Thanks
  • Here you go
    100_1215.jpg
    Hey, Thats my grill!!! You must have been standing beside me when I took that pic ;) , Thanks for the help!
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    If you are really worried about it,cut some small wooden wedges that can be placed in the gap when you are moving it and removed when you get it stabilized where you want it.3 or 4 should do the trick. :)
  • salemsalem Posts: 21
    If only while it's being moved, some of that foam pipe insulation or pool noodle comes to mind.
  • :S The gap between the egg and hole is bugging me too. I'm working on it but so far I've found nothing I trust to come in contact with a hot egg. Like to figure out something I could leave in place all of the time. I have a granite top and I'm afraid of chipping the finish on the egg when I move it. I'll eventually figure it out and post it, or e-mail you. Pilcher Man.
  • :S The gap between the egg and hole is bugging me too. I'm working on it but so far I've found nothing I trust to come in contact with a hot egg. Like to figure out something I could leave in place all of the time. I have a granite top and I'm afraid of chipping the finish on the egg when I move it. I'll eventually figure it out and post it, or e-mail you. Pilcher Man.
  • how about stacking some stryrofoam trays from meat?? of cut some pieces of rubber from a car tire ( a jig/sawsall will cut the ire easily).... rubber from old innertubes comes to mind also....
  • EggsakleyEggsakley Posts: 1,016
    Has anyone tried gasket material to fill this void? Just a thought.
  • PhilOshPhilOsh Posts: 84
    Try using 4 dabs or blobs of silicone. Remove the egg from the table, dab a blob of silicone in four places around the granite edge, allow to cure and you should be fine. The silicone will handle the heat and there is high temp silicone available too. You could do a discreet bead of silicone all around the edge also.

Phil
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 6,993
    I think Phil's idea above is great.
    I was thinking about getting a thin walled high temp heater hose from the auto store and cutting it length wise and feeding it around the edge. The diameter of the hose would differ on the depth of your table.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
    I'm currently using Hoss's method, seems to work for now. Eventually I hope to build an Island for the Egg and the Eggcessories! Thanks All for the suggestions! :)