Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Top tip for those with a rain cap for their egg...

Options
UKMatt
UKMatt Posts: 113
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Like many others, I have a metal rain cap for my egg that I can put on top of the adjustable daisy wheel thingy in inclement weather.

It looks like this:

6ceaf57a-189f-4107-9ccf-417bd850a516_300.jpg

A couple of weeks ago I was getting the egg fired up for some searing and it started raining. Now, when I usually use the rain cap I am cooking low and slow. This time, I decided to protect the new fire from the rain with the rain cap.

Usually, when cooking at 250, the rain cap is pretty cool to the touch. However, when the egg gets to 700 degrees and you decide to take off the rain cap to put on the daisy wheel I can now, speaking from experience, recommend you use tongs or gloves to protect your hands.

Did you know it's possible to leave finger prints burned onto an aluminum chimney cap? Me neither.

Ouch.

UKMatt

Comments

• bbqmyway
    Options
    Got one just like yours @ lowes and very inexpensive considering a lot of other makeshift units I have tried.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    LMAO...that was a real OUCH! Hope all is well.
  • Rib Bones
    Rib Bones Posts: 449
    Options
    Oh no!!! I was afraid that was where your story was going. Hope your fingers are ok.
  • UKMatt
    Options
    NoVA Bill wrote:
    LMAO...that was a real OUCH! Hope all is well.

No kidding - I got my hand into a bowl of ice water for about 2 hours and I only got bad blisters, not ER blisters.

My parents were in town (they live 6 thousand miles away usually) - they were amazed I was so stupid (still!)... I was amazed I managed to avoid cursing out loud in front of them :)

UKMatt
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    That stinks, sorry for you pain. Metal burns are the worst. I know, my blisters are peeling now.
    Great tip/reminder!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Matt,

There isn't anything like screwing up in front of the parents. :blush:

Good luck and hope you heal up quickly.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Ouch!! :( Actually , cursing might have been therapuetic....you'll just have to explain this English study to your parents. :laugh:
    "Do you ever feel guilty when you curse, especially after you get injured? Well don't. Scientists say you less likely to feel pain by letting out a swear word.
    It's not a joke.
    The new study conducted by researchers from the school of psychology at Britain's Keele University was published in journal NeuroReport. The study shows cursing could increase pain tolerance and heart rate, thus decrease the feeling of pain.
    Richard Stephens, one of the researchers, told Reuters the trigger for the study is to figure out why swearing is a historical, universal human linguistic phenomenon.
    A total of 64 volunteers participated in the experiment which required them to put their hands in a tube of ice water for as long as possible, until they started to curse.
    They were then asked to repeat the experiment but with moderate language.
    Researchers found cursing made volunteers tolerate ice water longer.
    It's not clear as to why cursing improves pain tolerance. But what is clear, said Stephens, is that "Swearing elicits both an emotional response and a physical one, too. This response could shed light on why the age-old practice of cursing developed, and still is in existence today."
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Rebecca,
    To many words! You could have taken care of my hip replacement by then. ;) :woohoo:
    Mike
  • hizzoner
    hizzoner Posts: 182
    Options
    pics of burnt fingers please
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    How do you just have that info available?? :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    She is a very good Doc!
    But she did copy and paste. Right Bebecca? :blush:

Mike
  • Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    Reminds me of the first time we had stainless steel pans that could go in the oven .... pulled out after a salmon cook, set on the stove top for a second ... then grabbed the handle. I think a bad word or two came out of my mouth ... and I think we had salmon on the kitchen floor when I dropped it!

JM
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    No Mike, amputation would have take longer. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Hi Molly, it was a recent study and although I may not be able to remember major medical studies, it seems I can always remember stupid stuff. At least this study has very practical implications. (hey, self declared editor CWM, was that response brief enough?)
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Ouch indeed. No macro shot of the finger prints? :P
    LOL I'll have a different problem at high temp though - I use an inverted plastic bucket :woohoo:
    Seriously, thanks for sharing.
    canuckland
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Yep those flames you can see shooting out the top on high temp cooks can get thin metal pretty hot.

Don't worry your prints will grow back!! :woohoo:

PS those flames usually vaporize water drops too..
  • Slotmercenary
    Options
    Where are the pics??
  • UKMatt
    Options
    Celtic Wolf wrote:
    Yep those flames you can see shooting out the top on high temp cooks can get thin metal pretty hot.

Don't worry your prints will grow back!! :woohoo:

PS those flames usually vaporize water drops too..

Yeah - I wasn't planning on leaving it on as long as I did - I was originally intending to take it off once the coals were definitely lit (it was a very damp morning and I sometimes have trouble with damp egg + possibly damp charcoal).

For those who want pics... yuk! I actually put on some special bandaids that are designed for burns - they did an amazing job of healing the blisters.

UKMatt
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Options
    These tippppy toppps...
    How would one use it? Meaning, since there is (obviously) no adjustment, how does one control the egg temp?
    I've never cooked anything "wide open" (no daisy wheel)
    Well, actually maybe that's not true, I think I did cook a steak high temp without the daisy wheel...
    Are there any other instances where one would be able to cook with this type of raincap?
    Thanks!
    RicklessssssS

*EDIT: I just now noticed that one puts this cap ONTOP of the daisy wheel.....sorry!
  • Eggston
    Eggston Posts: 29
    Options
    Well at least you didn't try to pick a cast iron skillet with cornbread off the grill like me. Now that left a mark!! :sick:
  • SoonerChris
    Options
    As I said in another thread today, "Welder's gloves are an EGG cook's best friend."

282389.jpg