Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foiling on a long cook - brisket

Options
RU Eggsperienced
RU Eggsperienced Posts: 1,527
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It is amazing how foiling during the last stage of a long cook accelerates the cook. I usually foil at around 170, this time I waited till 190 and it cooked in no time.

Here is a screen shot from my stoker. Note on the slope of the graph below changed when I foiled. (Note I started the Brisket at 6:30 PM just started the Stoker log at 11:23)..

20091024-Brisket-Graph.jpg

Comments

• SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    That's pretty nifty. Can you control the range of the units on the y-axis? Could you show the same graph with a cooker range of 150-250 if you wanted?

I understand the benefits of foiling on a stick-burner, where you want to prevent the meat fro taking on too much smoke, or getting too dry. So, I always thought that foiling is unnecessary in an Egg, where you can control the amount of wood-smoke, and the Egg naturally prevents much drying. Your graph seems to suggest that foiling can help to finish a cook off quickly if your company is waiting.

Mark
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    It really does help finish the cook quicker - think you can do that w/Pork butt too if you are running late.

After the Brisket gets through the plateau (~170') I steep my briskets with a 2 or 3 TBS of liquid in the foil. Somebody on this forum gave me that hint and its worked great.