Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping the green egg above 300

Options
Jeff
Jeff Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I live in Indiana and it is 40 degrees. I can't seem to get the egg to stay at 350 degrees. Is it because of the cold weather or do I need more charcoal?

Comments

• Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    This is not off topic. you will get more responses over there.
    It sounds like you need more air flow. check to see if your grate holes are clogged. bend up a coat hanger and use it as a wiggle stick and poke through the holes.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

In mid winter it gets to -20° out here. Nevertheless, the egg will hold any temperature.

Heat = fuel + oxygen.

Get a wiggle rod and use it through the bottom vent to clear the air flow up through the lump. A coat hanger will work in a pinch but does not do a very good job, the wire is too thin to make an air path up into the lump.

If you use a coat hanger, straighten it out, double it over and twist into a rod, then bend up the end for more strength.

One can reach above 600° if the lump is at or just below the air holes in the fire box or if the lump is loaded to the top of the fire ring - AS LONG as there is air flow up through the lump.

GG
  • csr
    csr Posts: 27
    Options
    I feel for you, but I have to agree with previous posts that your Egg is clogged up. Gotta have air flow, so you need to keep it clean around the ventilation holes at the bottom of the fire box, man! Rummage the charcoal around the bottom of the fire box before cooking, clear out the vent holes at the bottom of the fire box (hanger, grate cleaner, whatever), and clean out any ash that has developed below the fire grate.

Thank goodness I don't have an issue with cold weather in Dallas, as we Egg all year long down here.

Good luck!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Think we don't up here? The fire in your egg doesn't know the difference between -35* oxygen or 90* oxygen.
  • csr
    csr Posts: 27
    Options
    Don't hate, Rip. Temp is relative, but oxygen levels are obviously different at your level of altitude (which is on a high horse).

First negative post I've seen in this forum in quite sometime. We all try to help each other out, so post something useful or don't post at all.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Don't hate? High horse? Negative post? :laugh:

You ain't seen sheeeeit.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    ;) I thought it was on the off topic forum. to many to keep track of.