Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TONIGHT\'S COOK: Brisket!!!

Beanie-Bean
Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Oh so happy to finally have some great weather here in Texas! It's been so hot here this year, and there has been lots going on with family, work...

Picked up a 13.44lb packer earlier this week, and put it on the LBGE early this morning, probably around 1:30AM. Used a mixture of pecan and oak for the smoke. DigiQ to manage the pit temp of 250° and I set the food probe to alarm at 190°. It's in raY/ramp mode now, so I'll just leave it there until were about to get down for some dinner. Little brother's birthday tomorrow, and my little sister is in town until the morning, so we're going to have a really nice feast tonight.

I'll post some pics later on this evening.

Special thanks to JL and bill for the Caveman goodness :)

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Great looking brisket Mike!! Have a great tiem with your family tonight!
    I keep on hearing about this caveman juice...hmmmm
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • good to see you posting ... hope that means the work load is easing up.. made the last batch of caveman let me know if you want another bottle..???
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Looks great Mr. Bean.Glad to see you around man :)
  • cookn biker
    ohh, so you're the caveman jucie guy..tell me about it..please :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • molly , what follows is not for the faint of heart or the politically correct....
    a brief history to start.. last summer jl sent me a box of stuff,, okree, persimmon wood and these hot peppers he grows ,, the original seed he obtained from the illegal mexican immigrant bus boy at the local mexican restaurant. remebering that i am 100% pa dutch/swiss german/pale skinned/blue eyed/blond hair/red beard wussie boy.. i took 1/4 of a pepper cooked it with a jar of classico tomato basil sauce and thru out the whole qt as the sweat ran down my face and burned my eyes, my throat started to close and my tongue was on fire [all this from one teaspoon] i smoked the remainder with persimmon dried and ground into paprika and mailed back to JL.. about the same time i named these evil devil eggs "arkansas death peppers' and the name stuck.. JL sent a second batch which i dipped in choclolate and mailed to zippy and jl. zippy ate one for breakfast and sweat so bad he had to change his shirt before work and jl hallucinated while laying comatose on the sofa..
    i grew my own this year hoping to make something for my friends that would not maim or disable them .. i decided on hot sauce ,, i have made 3 batches
    scroll thru this thread and you will find the e-mail i sent out the night of my first attempt at caveman sauce
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=733125&catid=1

i have a bottle of the 'club you to death" with garlic sauce and a bottle of the new batch made with red and green adp's name with held to protect the innocent..
    will be happy to mail you a bottle of each if you like hot.. and it is hot. jl zippy and beanie can do them .. i had to gargle with half and half and could not taste my food after one drop ..
    not sure if i saved your address to my priority mail acct so if you want to try [at your own risk]
    send me an e-mail and the package will go out monday,
    bill [i am the caveman]
  • cookn biker
    I know da story. Thanks, I'm in. Man or mouse..right :laugh: :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Beanie-Bean
    Here is the point sitting on top of the flat:
    IMG_0821.jpg

A plate reserved for you:
    IMG_0822.jpg
  • cookn biker
    Very nice Mike! I'll be right over :laugh:
    Good to see you around!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Welcome back stranger!!!! Prehaps you should introduce yourself to the newer members?!! :laugh: Great to see you posting again Mike. Don't feel bad I'm just starting to get in the groove for fall. Nice Brisket. Will keep the kids feed for a day or two! One favor. Keep the rain down there for a few days PLEASE!!
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    that's a beautiful brisket. What did you put on it before cooking?

Mark
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Bill, I want to know what half and half you gargled with? ;) :laugh: :evil:
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Dang Mike, you come back to posting with a vengeance!
    Great looking brisket!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Beanie-Bean
    I'll take the rain any day after that hot summer we just went through! Hooray for fall, and the end-of-year wrap up at work.

I'll call you soon, JL--check your email tomorrow.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Mark,

I used the seasoning/rub from The Salt Lick, a barbecue place here in the Austin area. Really good flavor, with a bit of heat underneath for that added punch. That was pretty much it. I used a full packer/untrimmed brisket, that started out at almost 13.5lbs, but I managed to trim a few pounds of fat off before sending it on its way early this morning.
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Thanks for the information, Mike. You don't see too many Egged briskets with such a dark bark.

Mark