Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OK Foodies....I need Tri Tip Suggestions

Options
Kitarkus
Kitarkus Posts: 181
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I lucked out this weekend. I bought a new large egg, nest, mates, place setter, for $700. I had to do it despite my medium setup which has served me well.

My good buddy who got me eggin' is going through a nasty divorce. He finally got his house back after over a year...and among other things...his wife stole his large egg. He will be using my medium until he is able to get his large back from her (if ever).

Anyway...I am really pleased with everything about the large in comparison with my old medium. I always found the Med. to be a bit small...even difficult standing a chicken up beneath the dome. Temp control is better on this large (my medium was old style..old band system...orange peel finish not dimples).

Anyway...I broke the large in last night with a spatchcock chicken with Blues Hog and a couple of baked potatoes. I didn't want to do a high heat and end up with a gasket problem. I typically roast my chickens standing up. Spatchcocking was not only juicy and delicious...but I also found it much easier to carve into pieces after cooking (I have been known to "butcher" a beautifully cooked bird into a mess of unrecognizable pieces...despite the amount of times that I have done this. I cooked it indirectly with the placesetter...and I found that it took about the same amount of time that my previous method required (approx. 1 hour at 350-400 degrees). Sorry..no pics....I was too hungry.

I can hardly stop looking out the window at my new large...and I plan to use it all winter.

Anyway...to the point. I have always been interested in the tri tip cut of beef. I found a nice looking tri tip at Costco yesterday and bought it. I'd love some preparation, cooking, and serving suggestions for tri tip from those of you who have experience with this cut. Indirect? Direct? Temp? Time? Rub? Marinade? Sandwhiches? Serving suggestions?

Thanks very much all. I find this sight invaluable. This site always gets me excited about my cooking. I can't wait to do my pizzas on the large...but plan to wait a bit to ease the gaskets into their proper place.

Regards,

Jason in Kansas City

Comments