Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Close to a purchase

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Greetings
I have been silently wathing from the shadows, listening & learning.
There seems to be a vast knowledge of the art of egging in your forum -and that is cool.I feel Iam very close to a purchase, but my cocerns are-Is it a worthwhile investment knowing the fact that my lady is not a fan of smoked foods, I am not a great chef but do enjoy BBQing
I also would need to roll the big green in & out of a shed on not so even ground and think the nest would be too tipsy.
I had considered hopping on the ole Hog and blasting on down to eggfest to have these questions answered but my gal could not get time off.Wish you all fun at the Do!
Thanks for any help
WW[p]

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    WW,
    My wife is also not a big smoked food eater, nor is she much of a meat eater, but we still are eating better than ever. Lots of ways to minimize smoky flavor, but no way around the magic flavor that cooking over hardwood lump charcoal gives you.[p]I roll my large egg in and out of the garage...and I need to navigate a 1/2 inch lip. I built a stand for the egg, that has plenty of table space, and wheels. Very similar to the plans offered from the BGE home page. Inexpensive if built from pressure-treated lumber. Like you, I would also feel uncomfortable wheeling the egg around in a nest. Just ask Cornfed....I doubt he is doin' much wheelin around these days.[p]Good luck with your purchase. Now the fun begins.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    WW,[p] Still not to late for the missus to change her mind, think
    flowers. Hee Hee. You could always try to level the ground
    in front of the shed. The weight alone is aprox 150lbs,
    kind of hard for someone to pick it up and carry it away,
    so leaving the Egg outside will not be a problem. However,
    don't know your circumstances as to why you must move in & out to start with.
    Hope you buy one, also you do not have to use smoking wood
    chunks, so flavor will not be to strong. Good luck.[p] Earl

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    WW,[p]The is not only a great smoker, but is an excelent grill. no grill I ever had could sear steaks at 800-1000 degrees. Tonight is mustard coated chicken. Another thing I never did on an old gasser! Instead of a nest, think of a table. The larger wheel should help![p]Smokey

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    WW,[p]You might need the cart with wheels - perhaps some savy egg'er here will have a link to that drawing. As far as getting an egg and not liking smoked foods - you can still enjoy the Egg. My wife and I are not huge fans of smokey foods either, but do taste better with a little -- most pork for example. You can use no wood, for smoke, at all and you will get a slight "charcoal" taste - just from the dripping fats and the lump charcoal itself. I think you will find it easy on the tounge and to your liking. Its very close to regular charcoal taste - just better. [p]Another real benifit to the purchase of the product is that you get this great forum - sort of a "learn to drive course for Egging" so you don't have to figure it all out yourself - you get a lot of help from here.
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    WW,[p]It is not necessary to smoke foods cooked on the Egg, just an option. If your Lady enjoys the taste of food cooked over charcoal then she should enjoy Egg food (use oak lump - mildest taste).[p]I agree that rolling the Egg around on uneven terrain is not a good idea. Why not just pick a convenient spot and keep it there. Mine reside on an open deck 12 months a year (I do cover them).[p]Spin
  • Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    WW,[p]Elaborate on your need to roll ther BGE in and out of a shed.....is there a reason it can't be left out? With a cover it withstands the elements nicely. Just curious........[p]Fritz
  • Nature Boy,
    Thanks for the tip,Beleive I may make a trip to the lumber yard tomorrow,then to see bge dealer.Kinda gettin excited now. By the by what did you use for wheels-a coaster style or more of a lawnmowwer size.
    Thanks to all-Better fire up the tv now(cant keep a canuck away from a hockey game even on a grand spring nite)

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    WW,
    I used smaller wheels than I should have. Lawnmower/wagon size is much better if you have a lip to go over. That green thang is heavy. MikeO has a nice setup. Some nice size wheels with an axle running through. I might just redo mine that way. I am getting close to throwing my back out trying to lift the small wheels up over the garage lip.[p]Enjoy the hockey game! Our Capitals got wailed on pretty good in the first round. Wish I were in your part of the world. I love the north.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • WW,
    Don't hesitate. My wife wasn't a really strong supporter... at first. She too, didn't like smoked foods. I bought a large Egg and the table also. I've done ribs (smoked and un-smoked)chickens (smoked and un-smoked) turkeys ( you got it!) and now my wife is hooked too. Humpty is the most forgiving grill/smoker in the world.
    Currently, three of my friends have gone and bought Eggs and both of my sons-in-law are contemplating Eggs too. My guess is they will let me do the cooking as long as they can. One son-in-law hated turkey...until he tasted a 17 lb I did one rainy Sunday. The reason he didn't like turkey was his mom had cooked them tiill they were so dry they were sawdust! My bird came out moist and tasting like a piece of heaven.
    In short, DO IT! Good luck and Great Egging.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    WW,
    You can make this table and just add some large wheels,then you can move the Egg around with ease.Good luck,you will love the egg.
    YB

[ul][li]Table plans[/ul]
  • Spin,
    I noticed both you and Fritz recommend covering your egg. My Egg dealer thought the cover was not needed. I'm up here in Boston where we get plenty of weather. What is your opinion on this.[p]

• WW,
    You sound like me two weeks ago. Not big fans of smoked food, like BBQ but not a great cook...etc.
    Have had the EGG for two weeks and what comes off that grill is unbelievable compared to that old propane dehydrater. People on the Forum are great and can answer even the most foolish questions.(Which believe me I have asked).
    P.S. How would you like to live in Boston with the Bruins this year. GO AVS!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    WW, It may be too late and you have already made your material purchase but I just finished my table and I'm quite happy the way it came out. I used the "brown" instead of the "green" treated wood. It's about 40% more expensive but you get a better grade of wood. Menards carries it. Then after you're all done you can buy Olympic stain to cover the cut ends, but go ahead and reseal the whole thing...it comes out sharp! BTW the color of stain is Clove Brown. As for the wheels I went with heavy duty 7" plastic hub, rubber tire ones mounted on a 1/2 inch steel rod. Between the cart, the resting stone and the large BGE that baby weighs in at 300+ lbs, so don't get dinky casters.
    Now that I finished butchering the wood I'm trying to learn how to use this new toy and trust me, I'm excited as a kid on Christmas morning. Good luck on your table! Ron Pratt

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    WW,
    We didn't ever even cook out before buying the BGE. I had one of those 6-buck hibachis years ago, and that's it. We don't even prepare red meat. BUT we've never regretted the money spent on the large BGE. Pizzas, calzones, bread, grilled veggies, poultry, fish, shellfish...the list is endless. I don't use smoking chips very often unless I'm going after a specific smoke flavor; the hardwood lump makes everything prepared on the Egg taste great. Go for it.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Big Cat,[p]No real solid opinion. BGE made the cover, so I got it and use it. I figured it couldn't hurt to use it.[p]Spin