Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked salmon dip/spread

Options
Cornbread Willy
Cornbread Willy Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everybody - Just got back from 8 eternal days with the in-laws. Ugh. Glad to be back to my own bed and am definitely fired up to catch up on my egging.[p]Somebody awhile back posted a nice looking dip using some egged salmon and cream cheese. Does anyone have that handy by chance? I'm making some goodies to bring to a new years fiesta.[p]Oh yeah - I picked up some pecan chips on my travels. Haven't tried those before. I have alder for the salmon (my favorite) but will probably try the pecan with some poultry or pork.[p]Thanks and happy new year![p]JMP

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,
    I think this is what your lookig for....I have made it a couple of times and it is wonderful.
    Larry

[ul][li]RRP's Salmon Spread[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Conebraid![p]I have not tried RRP's, but I have done the one on the 3 Men site, and it is awesome. Check the link![p]Happy New Year
    Chris

[ul][li]3 Men Smoked Fish Dip[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cornbread Willy
    Options
    Thanks fellers. Here's another one I stumbled upon in my searches. I'm not a big fan of liquid smoke but obviously that can be omitted:[p][p]1/2 lb smoked salmon or 1/2 lb salmon and liquid smoke to taste
    2 packages cream cheese
    1/2 cup chopped onions
    Approx. 1/2 cup mayonnaise
    Garlic salt to taste (about 1 t)
    1T lemon juice
    2-3 T creamed horseradish (may use more or less)
    Put all ingredients in a bowl and blend with an electric mixer. Serve with crackers. What a tangy taste!
    By: Elizabeth and Meredith [p]

• Nature Boy,
    I have never seen a more helpful person, ask and you shall recieve... and in exactly the way most useful...that's Nature Boy's moto!

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Chet,[p]He's a great resource, but I thought his motto was something about beers?![p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Chet
    Shucks. Blush.
    I have gained a substantial portion of my cooking knowledge from the kind folks on this forum. Still trying to give something back, but I could never give back as much as I have learned...though I will try![p]Many, many new friends have been made here, and I can blame the Big Green Egg and the forum for pointing me down a career path I would have never imagined 5 years ago.[p]And Jethro is prolly right.....my motto definitely involves beer. hee.
    Speaking of which.....POP!
    Thanks for the kind words, Chet.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    YB,
    glad you liked it - funny thing is before I came in to sign on the puter I was in the kitchen woofing down several crackers spread with it!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dave's Not Here
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    That sounds really good. Last summer I had a dip made with fresh bass at a friends home in the NC mountains and it was great.[p]Will have to give this a try with salmon.
    Thanks,
    Dave

• SlapShot
    Options
    RRP,[p]Can you use EGG'd Salmon... but not "smoked?" I've got a little left over from dinner the other night. My other thought was to use it as filler for ABTs. Thoughts?[p]Thanks,
    Walter

• RRP
    Options
    SlapShot,
    go for it! Sounds like a winner cauz the other night I sampled some salmon spread on a cracker topped with a piece of ham and found it a terrific combo! I assume you are wrapping the peppers with bacon so it's the same difference in my book. Let us know how it came out...BTW I'm the guy who also loves to use that great chili dog sauce in my ABTs.

• RRP
    Options
    geez, I meant to post Chuck Lane's recipe cauz that is good stuff!
    [ul][li]Chuck Lane's chili dog sauce recipe[/ul]
  • SlapShot
    Options
    RRP,
    Yep... wrapped in bacon. First attempt at ABTs... my oldest son has been asking for them for weeks. Think I'll put some baby shrimp in the ABTs and use the salmon for the cracker spread. Used the Garlic Peppercorn Char-Crust on the salmon the other night... it was great. Probably have just enough left for a half-recipe based on your previous post. Looks like good eats tomorrow :)
    Thanks,
    Walter

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Dave's Not Here,
    What a fantastic idea for bass! I love bass fishing, and they are plentiful here in Virginny. But I always found it mushy cooked as a meal, so why not just put it in some dip so's it don't matter if it is mushy or not!!![p]Thanks for the idea!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com