Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grilling Grate for Large............

Options
Blaze
Blaze Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anybody have one of these? I received one at Christmas to use with my large. It seems like it would be good for steaks, what else does anybody use the cast iron grate for, and pros or cons???[p]Thanks[p]Blaze

Comments

• Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    Options
    Blaze,[p]I have one I installed about 3 months ago. [p]The grate is not just for high temp cooks, though, it is good for all cooks. It give more efficient air flow through the coals from what I see.[p]I use it exclusively now.[p]Later[p]Cajun
  • Blaze,
    I purchased the cast iron grilling grate about 2 months ago. I have used it for high and low temp cooks. I think it will last longer than the porcilan. Leaves heavy grill marks in steaks. I have gone through several regular porcilan grates. I don't believe they hold up well on high heats.

• Aussie_Hugh
    Options
    Buckiq'er,[p]Yep I agree. My porcelain grill did not last a single cleansing high temp burnout. I use the Weber S/Steel grill mostly these days with the BGE grill just to hold the firebricks and drip tray. A cast iron one should be fine, I imagine they were around well before the porcelain coated ones.[p]Cheers,
    Hugh.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    If your porcelain grates are failing after that short a time, you might want to consider contacting your dealer. It may be a warranty issue. I'm still using the original grates on all my Eggs and I'm sure there aren't many folks out there who cook more than I do. It never hurts to ask. There may have been a bad batch of grates out there.[p]Frosty Ones!
    Jim

• Aussie_Hugh
    Options
    JSlot,[p]Frosty ones to you Jim. Thanks for the feedback.[p]Cheers,
    Hugh.