Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mold on my garlic

Options
2Fategghead
2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had a bag of garlic with some squash and sweet potatos on my table at the fest for decoration.

The bag of garlic got wet in the rain and now I have some black spots on some of them.

I just want to keep them around for when I need them.

So, do I need to use them up right away?

Should I peel them and save them another way or should I roast them and how?

Should I plant them in my garden for a summer harvest?

Tim

000_0941.jpg

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I would peel them and place in olive oil to cover in the frig. I like to add whole peppercorns. At this point I either leave them whole or take an emursion blender and chop. They last for a long time this way.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Thanks Richard, That sounds like a plan. Tim :)
  • Geoduck
    Geoduck Posts: 76
    Options
    There is a lot of info on-line so I won't quote or copy it here. HOWEVER, garlic stored in oil is very dangerous. Can result in botulism. Google "garlic in oil" and stay safe!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    thats one of those weird things, have stored it in tupperware for years sitting on the hot spot on top of the fridge. i never knew better until a few years ago and stopped doing it then.never had a problem and learned the process in an italian kitchen. refridgeration helps, or flavoring the oil and removing the garlic is ok, and ive read adding salt to the garlic and oil is better than not, but i dont know how much salt is needed. safest way may be to infuse the garlic in hot oil, remove it and store the oil.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have been doing it in olive oil for 30+ years, maybe it is all the single malt I drink when cooking.