Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got a new egg yesterday

Options
Kitarkus
Kitarkus Posts: 181
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had found an egg about two years ago...and have thoroughly enjoyed using it. As a matter of fact...my Weber Performer and Weber Gen Gold gasser have been quite lonely. The old medium really got me into eggdom, however, I often found it too small for my needs. It is one of the OLD ones with the floppy handle and low low nests. I have an extra set of bands for this medium (VERY hard to find) should the existing bands ever fail. I also have an unopened gasket for it should I ever need it. I'd like to sell it with egg, nest (new style...yes..I replaced the low low one a year ago), place setter, and extra bands and gasket. To my surprise...I haven't gotten ONE email off Craigslist since I posted on Friday...I can't believe it. I had anticipated tens of emails.

I found a person who had won a contest...bought the egg with a gift certificate...and did not want it. I purchased a new never used large with eggmates, nest, place setter, and all the typical accompaniments for $700 cash (no tax). I felt like I could not pass it up.

I have a couple questions:

1) Why no emails on my nice used Medium with extras? Is it the colder weather and upcomin winter months?
2) Do I need to break in the gasket on the new one? I have read over the years of melting gaskets and abundant gasket problems. I really do not wish to undertake the spray adhesive 77 glue and problems removing the old gasket should a problem arise.

Thanks

Comments

• Tarpon65
    Tarpon65 Posts: 205
    Options
    Congrats on a great deal. I have only had mine for a few weeks, I did break it in with low temp cooks as described, but the top gasket adhesive still failed on my first high temp cook. BGE, promptly sent me the Nomex gasket which I will install tomorrow. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine.
  • Rib Fan
    Rib Fan Posts: 305
    Options
    Not to sound smart but maybe you are asking too much? What is your asking price? I would think this is the only limiting factor as Eggs priced right dont last long in my experience.

Wayne
  • Kitarkus
    Kitarkus Posts: 181
    Options
    No problem Rib Fan...I don't take it that way at all. What do you feel is a fair asking price? This is the older band system style medium egg...but I did a nice job installing the new stainless air vent and it has a new style nest. Also included is plate setter and vinyl cover. I'm not desperate..it is a fine egg and I'm not looking to give it away. I purchased the new large with the notion that my medium would pay for a nice portion of it. In other words...I'd rather not give it away at a "great deal" but I am willing to sell at a fair price. Your (or anyone's) input is appreciated.
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    My guess would be that your asking price is on the high end or you live where the barbecuers and smokers have yet to learn about this great cooking device. You may want to keep it. Having a second egg to cook sides on, or cook a second meat at a different temp is a great thing.
    Opinions are all over the map about whether to take it easy on the gaskets for the first few cooks. My opinion is what can it hurt to take it easy for the first few times.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Might give Bubba Tim's guide lines a look see on used egg prices:

http://bubbatim.com/Green_Book.php
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap