Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's the final word on vertical cooked chicken?

Options
kjed
kjed Posts: 55
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,[p]I am planning to grill a 6.4 lb chicken tomorrow for xmas dinner. I haven't done it in close to 2 years. I use a pizza stone on the grate as a heat deflector, and sit the chicken, on a vertical rack, in a drip pan, on top of the pizza stone. I have cloves of garlic underneath the chicken skin and the bird is soaking in italian dressing overnight. In the past, the bird has been excellent.[p]Here is what I cannot remember: the cooking temp and time to cook. I've looked everywhere in my recipes, but can't find the answer. I scoured the BGE Forum archives, and I keep seeing recommendations that range from 220* to 450*. So, can anyone tell me what temperature will yield the moistest chicken, and what the general rule of thumb is regarding weight/cooking time?[p]Thanks in advance for helping me to not ruin Christmas dinner, and happy holidays to all of you![p]Keith

Comments

• Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    I did exactly this arrangement with a 6# roaster two nights ago, except for the height in the Egg. Mine was on a vertical roaster sitting in a pie pan on top of the inverted platesetter in a medium Egg (with grate it would have been too high in the dome for the dome to go down).[p]Rubbed with garlic, kosher salt, and rosemary underneath the skin. Cooked at 325-350 with a lump of mesquite for a bit of flavor. Chicken was done in 3.5 hrs to 180 degrees internal. The pie plate gave us a lot of grease for gravy and the chicken was still very moist...[p]Good luck & Merry Christmas -[p]Bob V