Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt - Little Nervous

Options
Paco
Paco Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First Butt, first overnight cook.
Cooking 2 butts, 1 is 9-1/2# and the other is 8-1/4#. (Rubbed them down with Bad Byron's last night.)
Started grill about 8:15 and stabilized at 250 and the Butts went on at 8:45. I put the probe in the smaller one, I'm guessing it will be done first.
Dinner's at 6 tomorrow night, I sure hope things go well.
Any pointers would be appreciated.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Don't be scared! Trust yourself and most importantly... the egg!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    30 min and you assume the Eg is stabilized? Better get up tonight and check it. :(
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    As Molly said. Trust it. Check the Butts at an hour or so before the estimated done time. They will likely hit a plateau and not increase in temp for a while and this is normal. Let them cook and they will eventually get there. Pull at 195-200 and wrap in foil to rest. Shred the boogers and enjoy. You will not be disappointed. The Egg is a marvelous cooker and will produce an excellent product if you just let it do it's thing.
  • Paco
    Options
    Had to tweek a little early on but after 2 hours it seems to be holding close to 250.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Paco, I found that it took a few months for the BGE to hold a constant temp...don't try to "fine tune" temp, just keep in the general range you desire...and Trust The Egg B)
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Big night for you! Congrats in advance because I know they'll be fantastic.
  • Paco
    Options
    Checked at 3AM and dome was up to 300 with an internal temp at 172. I dropped the dome temp to 200 and at 7AM the internal is at 154.
    Does that seem right?
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Although I am no expert, but I think your temp should be cranked back up to around 250°.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    200 is too low. You were much better off at 50 over than at 50 under.

There seems to be some sort of mystique about doing butts at 250 overnight. I get much better and much faster results at 350. I put it on mid-morning, take it off late afternoon, and it is rested and ready to pull by dinner time.

I'm not advocating you change what you're doing on this cook, but you might try it next time. For now, give that thing a little air, get the temp back up to 250 or a little better, and then quit fiddling with it.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    If you are headed to 195-200 and the dome temp is 200 it will take eons to reach your final temp. Boost the dome to 250.