Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lump charcoal burn time

Options
David
David Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Merry Christmas to all!
I have cooked several 8 lbs. plus boston butts using a pan with "v" rack. I always had lump left over after a all nighter. I just purchased a plate setter and use it. I had to open the vents a little more to hold temp and 3/4 through the cook, all the lump with gone. Could this be fast burning lump(cowboy brand)? Or the fact that the additional mass in the egg requires more heat. Has anyone else had this happen?

Comments

• Better Days
    Options
    David,[p]What is a platesetter and what is the benefit? Sorry to answer your question with another question.
  • David
    David Posts: 97
    Options
    The platsetter is a ceramic product sold by bge for indirect cooking, check out their accessory list
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    David, I have found that Cowboy brand burns a little hotter and therefore should burn faster than BGE lump. However, go to the Naked Whiz's Lump Site and see what he has to say.

[ul][li]Lump Database[/ul]
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    David,[p]It's possible also that the conditions during your last cook could have been different than the prior ones...different wind, different humidity, things like that...[p]Seems to me the platesetter would improve the efficiency rather than reduce it, since the temp inside would be more consistent all the way around the meat due to the additional ceramic mass...just a thought.[p]I'd see how it does with a few more cooks to compare. That said, I'm not very fond of Cowboy lump and wasn't impressed at all with it's performance. But it's better than NO lump if that's what you can find in your neck of the woods.[p]Happy Holidays,
    QBabe
    :~)

• Chainsmoker
    Options
    David,
    I use the plate setter also and I get 16-18hr. cooks without ever lifting the lid. There is always at least half the lump left unburned. I used two bags of Cowboy before I realized it wasn't as good as the other brand I had been using, so I went back. I didn't like all the T&G hardwood flooring in the bags of Cowboy.
    Ryan

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Better Days,
    I answer that question with photos in my ceramic FAQ:[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Ceramic FAQ[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    chainsmoker,
    I also use a plate setter and my longest cook has been 23 hours with 1/4 of the lump left over.[p]I used one bag of Coyboy and never again. I can picture workers going around to construction sites to collect the scrap lumber for lump. [p]My favorite lump is Grove Natural Lump that is produced in Wisconsin. It is great stuff! I like it even better than Royal Oak Lump. [p]Time for a beer ....[p]BeerMike

I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • Better Days
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Thanks very, very much! Your site is amazing and I have bookmarked it for many future uses. Happy holidays.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Better Days,
    Thanks! Yes, a lot of people have said my site was amazing, I just don't understand why they are shaking their heads when they say it! LOL[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz