Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chinese Pork Loin Recipe anyone try it? opinions?

Options
Carolina Wizard
Carolina Wizard Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello Group, Long timer here intermittently speaking. [p]Has anyone tried this "corrected Chinese Pork Loin Recipe?" Your opinion please. I have a beautiful 5 lbs loin that I want to marinade, brine or sweeten up for Christmas Eve dinner. I just want to do something a little different. [p]Thanks for the help.

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Carolina Wizard,
    Haven't tried it, but the spicing combination sure sounds good. I'd put that puppy together tonight, and let it marinate till Christmas Eve.[p]Happy Holidays![p]Ken

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    Carolina Wizard,[p]I tried this recipe some time ago, on pork tenderloin. Although it certainly didn't ruin the tenderloin, there wasn't much flavor that I noticed. I marinaded the tenderloin overnight. If you're doing a pork loin, then you might want to marinade longer.[p]Good Luck![p]Chuck
  • Carolina Wizard,[p]I don't know what recipe you are referring to, but here's one I've done many times, using a recipe from Paul Kirk's book. It turns the loin into those delicious red-tipped pork slices you get on a pu-pu platter. Only better since it's cooked on a smoker. If you wanted to cook the marinade down, thicken and use it as a glaze, you could. I don't.[p]Appropriate color for the season, too![p]Lee[p]Char Siu Chinese Marinade (Paul Kirk)[p]½ cup sugar
    3 T. sweet sherry
    2 T. soy sauce
    ½ cup hoisin sauce
    2 teas. minced fresh ginger
    ½ teas. five-spice powder
    1 teas. salt
    ½ teas. red food coloring[p]Mix the sugar into the sherry and soy sauce until sugar is dissolved. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend well.[p]Paul says he uses it mostly on pork strips and country-style ribs. He marinates those pieces for 2-4 hours. I marinate the pork loin overnight.[p]Cook to 140 degrees internal temperature.[p]

• TxEgg
    TxEgg Posts: 19
    Options
    I am a huge fan of Paul Kirks Sauces and Rubs book and the Char Sui recipe above is one of my favorites. I agree with QSis.
  • Carolina Wizard
    Options
    QSis,
    Thank you for the recipe! This is the one I will try and let you know how it turns out. [p]Thanks much to all the helpful posters, to all that replied and MERRY CHRISTMAS![p]CW