Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uncooked Virginia Ham.... Any Ideas??

Options
convert
convert Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought a uncooked virginia ham from Edwards over the net. Because the Ham is cured and smoked their cooking suggestions are to simmer in water to an internal temp of 160 after soaking in water over night to remove the heavy salt from ham. Another method is a cooking bag with four cups of water at 300 to internal 160. Anyone ever do one of these on an Egg? I bought it uncooked so I could cook it on the Egg. Any help? Thanks..... Convert

Comments

• Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    Don't know what to do with an Edwards ham? I know - send it to me![p]These are one of the best old-style Smithfield's you'll ever get. We regularly get their Wigwam brand for special family affairs. Their breakfast sausage is also to die for. I try to pick up the sausage whenever I get through their area (Williamsburg VA and Surry VA), because the shipping makes it a true luxury.[p]Usually the hams come with directions on cooking on the outside. They no longer need boiling like the very old ones to remove the salt. These have also already been smoked, so I'd cook it indirect at 300-350 to an internal temp of 145-150 with no wood. If you are glazing it for appearance, use a sugar or orange and sugar glaze in the last 30 minutes or so. Slice very, very thin and make good biscuits.[p]I'm envious (and drooling) - Bob V
  • Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    I have to amend my own post. I've never had one of their hams that required boiling. That's a really ancient technique for the old salt-cured hams. (Historical aside - Smithfields were some of the only meat that could be exported to the Caribbean in colonial times. Their salt curing could stand up to anything)[p]Instead of boiling, I'd soak it for eight hours or so, changing the water two-three times to remove the salt. Then put it on the Egg indirect at 300-350 to 150 internal. 160 is too high for me on ham or pork. [p]Bob V