Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Method Needed To Cook Chicken Thighs...

Options
Mac  in NC
Mac in NC Posts: 287
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just finished defrosting four chicken thighs for tonight's dinner with the missus. The norm consists of boneless, skinless chicken breasts so I don't have alot of experience cooking these. My last attempt resulted in a grease that caused me to shut all the vents down and order in.
So my question is...what is the best way to cook 'em?
The above method involved leaving the skin intact and cooking direct at 300 or so. Once the skin starting dripping, the heat rose to well over 400 in no time resulting in burnt chicken. Not good. Will the skin have to be removed or would cooking at a much lower temp. on a raised grid be sufficient. How about slow smoking? Or would they become too dry? So many questions, so close to dinner time. Any help would be most appreciated. Mac

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Here's my newly preferred method, Mac. 375° indirect over plate setter and drip pan. Start skin side up and flip after 30 mins. Then flip every 20 mins until done, basting with finishing sauce last 30 mins with egg shut down totally.[p]Jim
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Mac in NC ,
    My favorite method is to sweat an onion, cube the thighs and brown them, add the onion, a can of tomatoes and jar of Indian sauce like Korma. Serve with rice and puff parathas that you can get at the indian grocery up above Crabtree Mall next to Steak and Ale. But that isn't much help is it? :-)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Mac in NC ,
    TNW and J Slot have offered some great suggestions. I would also ask that you contact Chris(Nature Boy), and ask him what he thinks. His Chicken thighs are as well respected as Mr. Toads pork loin.
    Hammer

• highlander
    Options
    Very Familiar with Crabtree....

• Mac  in NC
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions folks. I gave it Jim's method and got pretty good results but not quite what I wanted. I used a water drip pan and kept trying to brown the skin up without burning it. Still no such luck. Pieces over the water pan remained rubbery and the ones over flame scorched. Even on a raised grid. Gave up when my toes started going numb.
    Wife said the chicken was fine but wondered why I hadn't "crispened" up the skin. I told her to go get dressed and meet me outside in the 20 degree weather and I would show her why I didn't crispen up the skin. She declined and finished the thighs in silence. I think next time, I'll try Naked Whiz's recipe. Least that one will keep me inside. See Ya!! Mac[p]I'm waiting to hear from Chris. I too remember he's the guru of chicken thighs just like ya said Hammer.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I don't know what the problem could be, Mac. Did you actually put water in the pan? That could be the problem. No need for it. My chicken skin has been coming out so crispy that it crunches. I use one of the cheap 9" x 13" foil pans on my plate setter with nothing in it. I can squeeze about 15-18 thighs on the grid above the pan. When I say squeeze, they are all touching, but I don't have any pieces exposed to direct heat.[p]Frosty Ones!
    Jim

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    ChickenOnSmall.jpg
    <p />Howdy Mac!
    Naw....I am no guru, but I have cooked a whole bunch of thighs over the years. It is my favorite part of the bird! I like them direct, but indirect works good too. Main thing is I like to give them plenty of time to cook. At least an hour and a half and up to 3 hours. On the small, I keep em at 250 direct for about two hours. On the large maybe 260 direct. Or indirect starting at 250 and working to finish off at 350 after a couple hours. [p]Getting cripsy skin is tricky, and I usually give up. But high heat at the end is the only way I know....but it is a tricky thing not to get them too dark.[p]Just some thoughts...gotta run and see WooDoggies to the door!
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mac  in NC
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks for the tip!! By the way, is that a regular store bought sauce or one of your wife's creations? I'd love to try the oriental flair in sauces. Growing tired of the same old thing. Mac
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Mac in NC ,
    That was a practice cook I did for a competition, so I used a doctored store bought sauce. Mostly I don't use sauce at home.[p]When I want an Asian influenced sauce, I usually do something like my ginger mahogany sauce (link below). It's not just for ribs anymore! Goes great with chicken (and I have heard with Salmon too). Plus it gives the meat a very cool color.[p]Holiday Beers!
    Chris

[ul][li]Ginger Mahogany sauce[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ