Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib - Sear in the beginning or end ???

Memphis
Memphis Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What are your thoughts ???

Comments

• Memphis,
    I personally sear at the end, not it the beginning. I'm sure there are different folks that will have a different feeling![p]Keep in mind, Prime rib comes from a Prime cut of meat. You may really have a choice cut, which makes your roast a standing rib roast. I personally cannot tell the difference in taste, but my wallet sure can tell a difference![p]I prepare these 3-5 days in advance and dry age them in the coldest part of the fridge at 36-38 days. I use a tupperware cake storage container with small holes drilled in the sides. I made my own after seeing this done on a cooking show. At the end, I trim the leathery stuff off and let the roast come to room temp for about an hour. Preheat the egg for a good 2 hours prior to starting to cook to evenly preheat the ceramic mass. I season with simple canola oil, kosher salt & pepper. I cook indirect at 225 until internal of 115, I then pull it, wrap in foil while I remove the plate setter, reload with some fresh lump and crank up the egg for the sear. It usually takes about 20 minutes to get the egg roared up to 500+. I then put the roast back on, bone side up for 3 minutes, then flip to bone side down for 3 minutes. Check with a instant read. This usually results in a good medium rare, about 132 internal (both times I did this, they were 132 suprisingly). I only used lump and 2 hickory nuts and not a heavy smoke.[p]I hope yours turns out as good as mine have. PS ,I cook on a medium[p]Banker John

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Banker John,
    What size piece of meat are you talking about? I've got a 10+ pound I'm doing tomorrow night. Not sure about searing it; have cooked indirect the past couple of years without searing.

• Memphis
    Banker John, I have read alot of posts and had decided to cook pretty much the way you described. I hace a 15 pounder dry aging in my spare fridge as we speak. Will cook it as you described. How long do you cook? How long per pound?
    Can't wait !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Memphis
    Banker John, How long per pound ??????

• Memphis,
    I have never done a full tenderloin. I usually cut the head into 4 nice filts and the tail portion is what gets cooked. "How long per pound?" I have no clue. I use a polder and thermapen. I guess it takes about 2.5-3 hours for the roast to complete.[p]I know that it is a cardinal cooking sin to not have all of the portions of the meal completed at the same time. Rarely, if ever, do my cooks come out at the right time. I guess it would be nice to someday have the meat done at the same time as the potatoes! LOL[p]Banker John[p]PS, sorry for the delay, family has had the flu bug and I have not gone on line.