Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not another Turkey thread

Options
Dawgtired
Dawgtired Posts: 632
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In-laws on the way for the holidays. My wife has asked me to impress them with my bge culinary skills, limited though they are. This will be my first turkey, probably 20-22 pounds. I need advice as to cooking time, temp, and the age old question of,"to brine or not to brine?" I've never had a bad cook when seeking yall's advice. So thanks for all the help over the past six months and thanks in advance for any help here.
Merry Chrismas!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Dawgtired,
    You can see the way I did mine this year at my website. In the "cooks" section, everyone loved it.[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Dawgtired, being your first time and you want to count on a fool proof success story then I suggest the easy way...though your inlaws will call you a pitmaster! Skip the brine this first time as Mr Egg will keep the bird moist anyway. A simple coating of veggie oil will produce a nice golden brown color. Cook indirect with merely a foil lined dry drip pan. Rest the bird on a rack that sits on top of that pan. 325° is your temp and count on 15 to 20 minutes per pound. The breast must reach 165 internal. Remove, tent with foil for 30 to 45 minutes and then carve. As for smoke that's up to you. Good luck

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Dawgtired,
    Whatever kind of wood you decide to use, be careful to not put too much smoke in the bird. The only thing I do differently is I skip the v-rack and lay the bird directly on the grid. Also, better to plan on 15 mins per pound. My Thanksgiving one went turbo on me and was done way too fast.

• Tom Harmon
    Options
    Dawgtired,[p]
    Only thing I would add to thread would be that the brining process makes the turky MORE forgiving - Almost impossible to overcook the whitemeat. Cooks quick(er) too in my opinion. [p]From Thanksgiving threads everybody experienced quick cooks regardless of bringing or not. My advice is to get a Polder (or like) and TRUST it.....[p]TH

• Dawgtired,
    I did a 20 pounder on T-day. It did not fit in the large egg wit the plate setter. I set the bird in a v-rack in pan adn set the pan on a pizza stone. Came out nice, but I wouldn't go above 18# next time.