Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Oyster Skillet Recipe

FritzFritz Posts: 179
edited 5:35PM in EggHead Forum
Please remember this is from Chef Emeril Lagasse's LOUISIANA REAL AND RUSTIC cookbook. Buy it, you will like it. I am convinced he could do wonders on a BGE.[p]Here is my take on his recipe:[p]Get a cast iron skillet out and heat it up well on the stove over medium to medium-high heat.[p]First make a roux. Do this with 1/2 stick of butter (NOT margarine) and 1 Tbls. of flour. Get the butter hot, add the flour and stir for about 2 minutes or so, you want a blonde roux here.[p]Now add some sliced onions, about 3 medium ones, some salt and pepper to taste. Cook till the onions look wonderful (read soft and slightly browned). Add some chopped garlic (I use about 4 Tbls from a jar, you can use about six cloves if you want, the more the merrier), some chopped green onions (2) and parsley (3 Tbls). Continue to stir and cook for another 2 or 3 minutes. Now add a cup of chicken broth and Worcestershire and Tabasco to taste. Bring this to a boil, recuce the heat and let it cook for five minutes.[p]In a bowl add 3/4 cup of bread crumbs, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, some more parsley, your favorite spice rub, a tsp each of dried oregano and basil, a 1/2 tsp of thyme, about 2 Tbls of olive oil and 1 Tbls of lemon juice.[p]After the skillet mixture has cooked for its five minutes, add another Tbls of lemon juice to it and a pint of oysters. Mix this well and remove it from the heat. [p]Now spread that bread crumb mixture over the oysters in the skillet.[p]Place this in a 450* BGE and bake for 15 minutes.[p]Emeril says to eat this with hot french bread and cold beer. He is right.[p]Enjoy.[p]Fritz

·

Comments

• J AppledogJ Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Thanks; I can just hear him saying it all in his Buffalo, New York/ New Orleans accent.
    It sounds like my scalloped oyster recipe taken up a notch or ten! You know, Fritz, I cook all kinds of stuff in cast iron skillets on the BGE - it might be fun to do the whole recipe on the egg. Now I'm hankerin' for oysters & just drank all the Beck's.
    (Try Ritz crackers instead of bread crumbs next time).
    Bone appétit! Julie

·
  • FritzFritz Posts: 179
    J Appledog,[p]I use Ritz crackers in my Dad's famous "Oysters and Eggs" dish. It is a very simple dish that is a scramble.[p]Fritz
    ·
  • Fritz,,,,,,,,,,,,BAM!

·