Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question fur ya regarding Salmon

Options
WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I`ve done salmon many times and dont have a problem with cooking it, which is going to happen this evening...Sally`s orders...LOL....my question is this....if you were at Eggtoberfest you most likely got some of the free samples of cedar planks they were handing out....I`d like to use them, we got 2, what exactly do you do with them...I would think to soak em in water and lay the salmon on top...any other ideas...could/would you use it for smoke...should it burn if its under the salmon...any tips or advice for these planks would be appreciated...and yes...LOL...pics will follow.....Thanks[p]Wess

Comments

• StumpBaby
    Options
    WessB,[p]I just lay the salmon skin side down on the planks and cook direct. Then, when they are done, you can take either a knife or spatula, and slip it between the salmon skin and the flesh. The skin tends to stick to the plank..so the meat lifts off fairly easy. I always try to soak the planks in water for at least 30 minutes before cooking. The plank will burn pretty good..but after the cook...I just toss it. You get a nice cedar flavor from the plank.[p]Yum[p]Help..from the Stump...who would thunk ?[p]StumpBaby

• WessB
    Options
    StumpBaby,
    LMAO...help from the Stump is not a normal post.....onliest problem I got is this filet aint got no skin...just a purdy hunk of pure meat...maybe I should skip the planks on this one. They normally do have skin on one side from costco, I was surprised to see none..[p]Wess

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    WessB,
    this is what I do........soak the plank in water for about 20 minutes, then I dry the cooking surface and rub lightly with olive oil. When finished cooking, I wash with mild soap and water, rinse, and dry. Repeat soaking for next cook.

• StumpBaby
    Options
    WessB,[p]
    Yeah...I gotta stop..folks is gonna start talkin.[p]I would use that plank for a salmon whats got its skin still on..but that's just me..and remember..I'm a stump. [p]Course other folks'll chime in..and prolly tell you all sorts of conflictin advice..if'n you wait long enough.[p]StumpBaby (the new kindlier..gentlier stump)

• BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    WessB,[p]You can either oil the salmon like Chef Wil says, or you can put lettuce leaves between the plank and the salmon.[p]I like banana leaves better than the lettuce, but I don't think I'll suggest banana leaves in December.[p]BOB
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    WessB,
    LOL[p]I've only gotten my salmon fillets from Costco and have never seen skin on them. Too funny.[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• WessB
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    I may give this method a try, as I cook mine over a drip pan they shouldn`t burn anyway. I am doing more or less the Dijon bourbon glaze posted by Gretl in the submitted recipe section, Sally says its one of her favorites. Thanks[p]Wess

• WessB
    Options
    WessB,
    Actually....I`m thinkin I might skip the drip pan and try something different this time...direct on a raised grid with the cedar planks....the pics will tell the story later tonight..[p]Thanks to all that replied.....
    Wess

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    WessB,
    The plank serves as your smoke flavor. I always cook direct at about 350. Soak the plank at least 30 minutes, I go an hour. Olive oil on the plank, salmon then rubs. I usually get about 2 cooks out of 1 plank, sometimes 3. After the last cook, I just break and throw in with the new lump for 1 more cook. Good Luck,
    Picked up my Prime Rib Roast today. I'm really eggcited about this.[p]CWM

• WessB
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    That sounds exactly like what I have decided to do, see post below....I planned to use some apple chunks in the lump also. Good luck with your rib roast.[p]Wess

• WessB,
    There is a chef out here in Seattle that does cedar plank and places the flesh right on the plank. It is quite tasty, they serve it on the plank.
    Jim

• StumpBaby
    Options
    WessB,[p]Did you end up using the popeye method on them there salmon steaks ? If so, how were they ?[p]StumpBaby