Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question, Egg & Accessories in Very Cold Weather

Kat
Kat Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Should any special considerations be given to using the Egg/plate setter/baking stones when it is extremely cold? I'm just wondering if the ceramics are prone to problems when they've gotten very cold outside (which is where we usually store them) and then placing them into hot egg?

I usually put them in to heat with the Egg, but not until after the initial lighting/heating has gotten going.

Thanks!
Kat

Comments

• I try to warm them up along with lighting the egg and bring it upto temp. Cold Eggcessories and Hot Egg seems like asking for trouble.
  • Kat
    Yup, that's why I'm asking :) I'm thinking it might be a good idea to move the plate setter and stone inside to store them this time of year. 17f this morning and it is only early October.
  • It will not hurt a thing. Put pizza stone or platesetter in soon after lighting and they will warm with your egg. They are the same material so they are not affected any more than your egg. Could take slightly longer to get all of them heated in extreme cold than in warmer times.
    If you place a cold stone or platesetter in your heated egg, then you would need to wait for the temp to recover from the additional cold mass, but just as your egg will recover to the previous temp after adding a lot of cold meat it will do so after adding cold creamics. Just be patient and trust your egg.
    Hope this helps,
    Tom
  • Kat
    Thanks Tom! I surely have more storage room outside than in!
  • Rusty Rooster has the science right. All are made out of ceramic and if you need to keep the accessories warm, you would also need to keep the egg warm. Leaving the plate setter and stone outside will mean longer times coming up to temp and since it can get rather frosty in Ottawa, I keep them in the basement. Luckily, I have room :) .

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• You should come up to Canada where it is nice and warm!
    4c/38f this morning. Big wind chill though. Felt like 17f. Ball game in Denver tonight?
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Where are you located Kat? This time of year I still leave my stones outside or in the eggs. As stated warm with the egg.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Game soon.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Although I have been told it's not necessary.....When it's below zero, I use an electric starter to light the lump, and bring my pit temp up slowly. I also bring my plate setter inside for an hour or two just to knock the chill off it.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Kat
    Thanks for the advice! I think I'll play it safe and keep them in a warmer spot. I'm in northeastern WA up in the mountains only a few miles south of BC and I have a feeling we're going to have a good ole fashioned winter - all the 'signs' are right for it :)