Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flexable Cutting Boards

thirdeye
thirdeye Posts: 7,428
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is anyone using these? One of my buddies competition team sponsors is Camp Chef, and he was passing them out this year at comps. I have 10 or 12 and have been using them at home.

They are nice for prep work, as they roll into funnel shape to transfer the cut up items. Also good to avoid cross contamination issues. Easy to clean-up and store too. Just curious is anyone else likes them.... or doesn't.
Happy Trails
~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I've kicked around trying them. Good to know you like them. I will probably buy a few now.
    Thanks.
    PS check your mail
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Thirdeye.... I have been using them for many years, and I love them. My particular fondness is avoiding the cross contamination issues....Yellow for poultry, green for produce, etc....makes Tim a bit crazy trying to remember which color for what, but he's got the hang of it now.... :laugh: I have a very fine end grain wood cutting board, but I still put the little flexible boards on top of it before cutting. ;) I have also found they do not hold up to the dishwasher well, they end up warping. Hand wash only IMHO. :)
  • Rooster K
    Rooster K Posts: 416
    I use them when I am chopping veggies. It is very easy to get things into the pot. I used them at both the eggfests I attended this year and they work great to not contaminate your next cook.
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,501
    Morning thirdeye:

Like LC, have been using them for quite some time (not doing the color thing though). Really like them for EggFests as they pack well.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• thillin
    thillin Posts: 33
    I've used them. I have a stack of them. I need to cut a few in half for smaller jobs. I trash once they start showing cut marks. But I use the disposable ones for comps. Less dishwashing is a plus!
  • thillin
    thillin Posts: 33
    BTW, I get my disposable boards from Daydots.com. I do cut these in half if I use them at home.
  • Mrs. Popsicle shared a couple of disposible ones for the after party in Denver -- they were swell. Haven't seen any locally, though :( . Think they were Saran.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Like them a lot. 3 for $2 here so they are great for fests. Around the house I get about a month per board.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Just a little humor for ya L.C.

Hi L.C.

Cross contamination and the gov. inspectors, no common sense.

Picture a table about 10 feet long, SS in the center and cutting boards on both sides, about 6 or 8 of us, 2 or 4 per side. Boning out butts & beef plates or briskets, throwing both the pork and the beef onto the SS center area. :)

Inspector comes in, you can't do that, cross contamination, my buddy (forman) got so mad he almost threw him out of the kitchen. Both items were going directly into the chopper together for making hot dogs.

Safety is good but a little common sense will sure help.

Then there was the time we had a fine protine powder fly up from the chopper as we dumped it in, fine coating on the floor. Inspector comes in, stop working, Why we ask, you have foot prints on the floor. Go figure, no we did not stop. :evil:

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • thirdeye
    Yeah I dishwashered one and it kind of remembered the shape it was in and wouldn't lay flat. Hand washing from now on.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Ty,

Are those the ones that had the 2 for 1 offer earlier this year?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• i use flexible ones and dishwasher,, with my delicate, pepper wussie hands i cannot wash at the high temps that the diswasher uses
    for competitions and [yucky stuff at home] i use cut and toss.

cut n toss
  • I need some these, where do I get them? :silly:
  • Judy in San Diego
  • I have one with a distinctive stain so I know that's the one for cutting up chicken.
    When I wash it I use bleach water on it and on the sink.

I got food poisoning once from an undercooked chicken breast sandwich at a restaurant (Islands chain). So I am never gonna there again if I can help it.

Judy
    San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    I use mine a lot. I think it's a great concept. I also still us my other boards that have a recess to hold fluids. I cut down a watermelon to pickle some rind this morning, and if I had used a flex cutting board, my mess would have been much larger. :blush:
  • I use them, and like them for light cutting work, but if I'm making something that requires a lot of knife work, I break out the big cutting board.

I keep a pair of them that I only use for making flour tortillas...they work great. Just put the dough ball between the two cutting mats and use a pan (I use my big saute pan) to press it into a thin tortilla. The dough peels right away from the mats, provided that they are smooth, and haven't been scarred by use with a knife.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    The ones I have are slightly transparent, even though color coded. So on the underneath side, I wrote Fish, Poultry, Veggie, & Beef in reverse with a sharpie. I even got the "S" facing correctly. :)