Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tale of Smoked Nuts and Near Disaster

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just pulled about four cups of cherrywood smoked mixed nuts (cashew, almond, filbert, walnut, pecan) off of the BGE, and they are fabulous! I only soaked them in water for about 5 minutes, and then hit them with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and an all purpose rub called "Bubbas". Smoked indirectly at about 300 degrees for 30 minutes. I nearly screwed the whole thing up, and learned a good lesson in the meantime. Anytime you lift that lid, and the Daisy Wheel slips backward (do I need to tighten that?), you better move it back, or else you will come downstairs to a temperature of 400+ degrees when you only want 300 or so. Yes, I nearly charred the nuts, but I did catch them in time. Whew!!!

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Smilinguy,
    TimM has the answer to the daisy wheel slippage. Gravity is the clue.
    Bob

[ul][li]daisy wheel[/ul]
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    painter,
    ....not only that, but don't clean it.[p]i found that my daisy wheel started performing even better (temp-control-wise) when it gained a little fatty soot on it.[p]it keeps the top from spinning too easily, and seals the little cracks which formerly rendered it ultra drafty.[p]i'm not saying it is caked in goo by any means, but like most things, it's better with a patina. at least i think so.[p]all i do is put it in the bge when i shut her down, rain cap on top. the heat, as thefire dies, renders off some of the sooty fatty stuff, but it never gets totally cleaned.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    stike,
    I agree. I have always gone by the motto that fatty soot is a good thing. A little caked-on resinous fatty soot is just what the doctor ordered. But ya want a smeary caked on soot, as opposed to a chalky, flaky fall-off kinda soot. Perhaps we could come up with a third party product that the user can smear on quickly to achieve results that might take, say, 200 cooks to develop? [p]Fatty Sooeee™
    Good name?
    Beers, and 'appy 'olidays!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Smilinguy,
    I thought you forgot to wear your cup....[p][p][p][p]
    Dylan

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937