Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

which size egg should i purchase?

gregggregg Posts: 3
edited 9:47PM in Off Topic
i have a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids under the age of 5)
if we have people over for a Bar B Q then it is only about 6-8 max

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,817
    gregg,

Large is the most versatile. You could get by with a medium but you would limit yourself for larger cooks that you could portion and freeze. Kids have a habit of getting older and food consumption rises exponentially. Think in terms of the lifetime warranty.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

•  
    Hey Gregg,

Welcome to the forum. I am single and live alone with a medium BGE. The medium is a good size for me. If I were you I wouldn't think twice about getting a large.

Good luck,

Gator

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,817
    gregg,

BTW this is on topic. You should post this question on the Egghead forum...you will get more opinions.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• KokemanKokeman Posts: 819
    I have 2 adults and 2 kids. I have a large and a small. I would recommend a large. It is the most versatile.
  • KokemanKokeman Posts: 819
    You will add the small within a year. B)
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

You should repost your question over on the egghead firyn - a much better place for this type of question.

There are two of us here and once a month I cook for the entire family, kids & grandkids - 25 in all.

The large is by far the best choice, IMO. For us we cook anything from 2 chicken thighs or a couple of dogs to a 23# Turkey on the large.

The large works great, however, after a short time I added a medium, then a small then a mini.

Most will say a Large & small. If I were doing it all over again, I would get a large, then a mini then a second large (or possibly a XL).

GG
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,703
    My choice was the large. Great for a small cooks and lots of room for company!!
  • SundazesSundazes Posts: 305
    I have 2 adults and 3 kids. The med is good if you plan, but the large makes it easier. I have both a large and medium.