Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib?

Options
Car Wash Mike
Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've never cooked prime rib but am getting antsy to. First, do most cook bone-in or boneless? Second, I'm wanting to sear and then indirect until I get the internal temp I want. Has anyone tried this?[p]Thanks,[p]CWM

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    You can see how I did one recently on a small egg..not sure if its what your looking for but it came out great and should work the same for a large egg...it`s in the "cooks" section..[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • Rumrunner
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    I prefer the bone in, but boneless will work too. I have a link on my site for Prime Rib that is worth checking out. Use to do dozen's and dozen's of these at Holiday time. [p]I also like doing small bnls ribs with a bacon wrap it kicks the flavor up a notch. [p]Make sure to use a probe type thermometer to get the correct internal temp that you desire.[p]Rum

[ul][li]Meat & Poultry Questions?[/ul]
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    prime2.jpg
    <p />Car Wash Mike,[p]Here's how I've done them in the past - always great results. Go with bone-in for sure - you just can't beat the part where you get to chew the meat off the bones![p]TRex
    [ul][li]Prime Rib[/ul]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    i always do bone in, sear, then roast. . ..if i want to use only my large i set up grid over inverted plate setter covered with aluminum foil (i don't bother with a drip pan). .. get egg up to 500 degrees, put roast on bone side down. . .as soon as you put the roast on, close the vents to get down to 325. . .the time spent between 500 and 325 will get you a nice sear, and then roast about 20 minutes per pound to 125 internal. . .remove and cover for about 15 - 20 minutes prior to slicing. . .should be perfect medium rare in the middle. . ..i coat mine with olive oil, kosher salt and herbs de provence. . .garlic, cow lick also work great. ..[p]the other thing i do is set up my large as above, but set temps at 325. . .fire up my small to 500 degrees, sear direct, bone down for 15 minutes, then move it directly to the large to roast. .. same result, just a little easier. . ..[p]enjoy, its a great piece of meat. ..

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I'm doing my first rib roast for Christmas, Max. I'm gonna do the reverse method and see what happens. Start the roast out at 250° and finish off at 500°. I'll make a full report on how the method works. I can't believe I have never done one before. LOL![p]Frosty Ones!
    Jim

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    I did mine starting at 300-325, and pulled mine at 130, it was perfect. I didnt do a sear, just a straight roast. There is also a thingy about doing the sear at the end rather in the begining. Pulling the meat out at 115 and bring the temp to 500 then sear. Never tried it that way.
    But expect up to a 15 degree rise in temp when you remove and rest the roast for the final slicing.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    JSlot,
    i saw 'julie's' post on that method a week or so ago. . .sounds good. .. bet if you get some wood going up front, you will good more smoke infusion (if that's your desire) than doing the more traditional sear/roast. ...more important, how do you plan on rubbing/treating your roast??

• JSlot
    Options
    I think I'm going the simple route, Max. Coat with olive oil and use either Montreal Steak Seasoning or just a nice coating of kosher salt and coarsely ground black pepper, then sprinkle on a little fresh rosemary.[p]Jim
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    JSlot,
    forgot to mention the rosemary earlier. .. a nice heavy duty coating of rosemary is fantastic on prime rib. . .i have a rosemary plant in my garden that has survived winters now for about 5 years. . .so it is about 3 feet in diameter and about 3 feet tall. . .really beautiful, and whenever i need fresh rosemary all year long, its right there for me to cut from. . .[p]no doubt you will have a winner. . ..i noticed btw, that when i was at costco last week, they had everything from 3 bone to 7 or 8 bone-in prime ribs. . .i'll be doing a 3 bone-in myself on saturday (my sister in law and son are coming up from norfolk to celebrate christmas a week early (yes, we're squeezing that in between first night of channukah at our house friday night, and sunday night channukah at my parents). . ..that plus i'm doing two pork butts tonight for an office party tomorrow, the eggs will be cranking mightily for the next few days (big giant, large, grinning thing here). ...also, just got my box of happy pappy and other goodies from blue smoke yesterday. . .(more grinning things). . ..[p]enjoy

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    TRex,
    Is the JF in honor of Joel Ferman. Looks like something he'd be real proud of.[p]Happy Holidays![p]Mike

• JSlot
    Options
    Sounds great, Max! Happy holidays to you and yours! I'll check out our local Costco and take a look at their prime rib selection.[p]Jim
  • TRex
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,[p]LOL. Actually, our initials are the same: Jason Faulkner, Joel Ferman. Never thought about it but Joel could borrow my brander.[p]You know, personalized branders with a signature Lawn Ranger handle - now that's a good idea . . . [p];-)[p]Here's wishing you many great cooks over the holidays,[p]TRex
  • TRex
    Options
    Jim,[p]You will absolutely love the results - prime rib is now one of my favorite cooks, and you can still find USDA Prime bone-in prime ribs for a decent price around here (~ $11.00/lb), so I did two the day after Thanksgiving.[p]I'm with you on the simple rub approach - I usually just use kosher salt and ground pepper and olive oil - but last time I did use rosemary and, wow, the smell of mesquite smoke and rosemary together drove the neighbors crazy.[p]Hope your cook is a huge success! I'll be interested to hear about the "reverse method."[p]TRex[p]P.S. - Let the roast sit uncovered on a plate at the bottom of your fridge for about a day or two - even that brief "aging" makes them better.
  • Chainsmoker
    Options
    TRex,
    where can I get one of those custom branding irons?
    Ryan

• TRex
    Options
    chainsmoker,[p]I got mine from Williams Sonoma. Try the link below.[p]TRex
    [ul][li]Williams Sonoma Branding Iron[/ul]
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    This is strange, I can get pork butts at Costco but they are never displayed in the case, I have never asked about a rib roast and have never seen one in their case. Interesting.[p]Regards,
    New

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    tach18k,
    Do you wrap in foil or just set out before slicing?[p]CWM

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    JSlot,
    I'm like you. I have had an egg for only a few years but never tried a prime rib. I think the time is now.[p]CWM

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    TRex,
    Looking good. I can't wait to take all this good advice and move forward.[p]CWM

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Rumrunner,
    Spending 20 years in the grocery biz myself. Bone-in always has more flavor IMHO. That includes chuck roasts to steaks. Thanks,[p]CWM

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Car Wash Mike, I just set it our uncovered. I'll tell you this, its the best I ever had, and it didnt have that dry ruff taste.

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    WessB,
    Enjoyed my visit to your site. Lots of great pics and recipes. The only thing I know I going to do for sure is cook a prime rib this year for Christmas. All the great advice was very helpful.[p]CWM

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    I tried the reverse method - cooking indirect with a platesetter in place at 250 - 275 to an internal temperature of 118 degrees. Take the rib roast out and cover with foil - allow the temperature to rise (mine got to about 128) In the meantime heat the egg to 450 - 500 degrees, then put the roast back in for 10 minutes to brown. Temperature maxed out at 130 degrees. Take out and rest under foil and serve. This produced a perfectly pink and juicy medium-rare roast throughout the whole roast. The best I have ever had. Take the roast out of the refrigerator for about 1 1/2 hours before roasting and season it too.