Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reheated or cold ABT's: Is it worth the trouble?

WudEyeDoo
WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We're going to a party Friday and they asked us to bring a finger food. I would like to try ABT's (I might be the only person on the forum who hasn't done them yet).[p]I estimate that the earliest they would be eaten is about an hour after taking them off the egg. I would either have to nuke 'em to reheat or serve them cold. I am wondering if they are still top notch that way or if I should just forget ABT's and go a different direction. What do you ABT veterans think?

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    WudEyeDoo,
    I would think the would be pretty good in an hour after coming off if you wrap em in some foil or something to hold some of the heat....I personally wouldnt nuke em no way...use a toaster overn or the real oven for a short time to warm them, that should help them from getting mushy at all...I have only done this once and we used the toaster oven for re heating...never as good as fresh off the egg but damn close...[p]Wess

• WudEyeDoo,[p]I always take leftovers to work on Mondays. We nuke em there, and they are usually gone in 60 seconds with the only complaints being "You mean they're all gone?"

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    WudEyeDoo, first of all let me state this since you say you've never fixed ABT's before...they take time to prepare and I for one don't have a lot of that (time). What I learned this summer was 1) I love ABTs and 2) they keep well after the cook I make extras for as much as two weeks following knowing I can easily nuke a few of them back to nearly fresh off the grill taste for an after work snack. The only reason I qualify that "nearly" statement is the best are right off Mr Egg and not taking any inside until the Cook has had his rightful satisfaction!
    I don't know where you live, what size peppers you have access to, what recipe you plan to use etc etc etc, but once you've had ABTs you'll be back!!!
    Unfortunately for me I just checked the produce section of Kroger last night and I swear those jalenpos are still the ones in the basket from last August...in fact I swear one pepper there still shows a carved heart that said "Ron loves ABTs"

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    RRP,
    LMAO...maybe we all oughta start carvin our name in one at the store..just to check freshness of course.....great reply..[p]Wess

• WessB,
    I agree completely with Wess. I have used the toaster ovens here at work to reheat & that does a better job than the microwave. Something I did last batch, completely anticipating reheating them, was to cook about 75-80% done & finish at work. Just long enough for the bacon to be rare to medium rare. Crisp them up later & everyone will enjoy.