Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drip Pan Question

Options
Pakak
Pakak Posts: 523
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In looking at techniques used by posters, it seems as though some put water in their drip pans and some do not. I’d like to hear what the rationale is for using water, or not.[p]I’ve tried it both ways. Starting by not putting water in the pan, I found there was an frequently a foul smelling smoke caused by the drippings burning. Then, I tried using water but found there was more of a “steamed” effect on the meat. I’m not really happy with either method.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Pakak,
    use beer!
    i used to use a drip pan, but i hated cleaning it, and i'm too cheap to buy the foil pans.[p]...i'm lazy.
    some foil to catch the drippings is all i do, but occasionally i do get the smokey burn

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    stike,[p]I'm even cheaper. I use a foil pan, then reuse it! A little water in the pan makes it even easier to clean, in order to reuse it. LOL
  • Mike in MN
    Options
    Pakak,
    I'm cheaper yet...I line the foil pan with aluminum foil....Then peel out the foil and reuse the pan.....I always use water and treats (onions, garlic, mushrooms, seasonings, herbs) in mine. Sometimes I save the drippings and cooked treats and use them as a base for a smokey broth.[p]Mike in MN

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Pakak,
    I use a drip pan on nearly every cook. I know that using water etc;is really not necessary on the Egg, however, I usually put wine or water with various seasonings in the pan for added flavors that I particularly enjoy.
    I use throw away drip pans, of various sizes, depending on what I am cooking.
    Hammer