Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low & Slows on a small

Options
GrillMeister
GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone do a brisket or Boston butt on a small BGE?[p]If so, what was the setup like?[p]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
Austin, Texas

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]Never tried it on a small, but getting ready to do a small butt on my mini! I found some 8 inch pizza stones. My only concern is having to reload lump! I'll place a pizza stone on the main grill, place a drip pan on the stone and and a second grill on top on the drip pan!. You are motivating me! I think I'll try it today and will report the results![p]BTW, MickyT sent me some rings for the mini. It should make it easy to hold a consistent temp!

• tn slagamater
    Options
    GrillMeister, I have done both. Last effort was two 8 pound butts.Loaded with Wicked Good Charcoal to the top of the ring.Placed grid, then small pizza stone sitting on 1/2 inch kiln posts,shallow pan made of aluminum foil on stone to catch drippings, then supported upper grid with 3 inch kiln posts. Cooked at 250 dome. Butts hit 200 internal at appx.15 hours. No charcoal was added during the cook, but it was almost all burned up. Of course, the butt was incredible!

• GrillMeister
    Options
    Smokey,[p]Sounds like a job for Wicked good charcoal.[p]I've got my brisket on the Large since last night. I'm trying some Swamp Venom Almonds on the small this morning.[p]I'm going to pick up a small BGE for the inlaws next week and I want to do a brisket and pulled pork while I'm there. I just want to make sure it can be done easily.[p]Cheers!

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    tn slagamater,[p]That's good news. Do you know where I can get Wicked Good near Sevierville, TN?[p]I'm heading to the inlaws who have a cabin in the Smokies and I'm bringing them a small BGE for Christmas (after a short stop over in Atlanta to visit the BGE HQ).[p]I plan to show them several cooks so they'll be properly indoctrinated into the ways of the egg. [grin][p]Resistance is Futile! They will be assimilated!

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    dish.jpg
    <p />GrillMeister,
    I just received this from BGE 2 days ago. They call it a "8" baking dish" I believe in the past it was used for trying deep dish pizza...anyway...I intend to place this on the main grid and use a second grid with either bolts or firebrick sipporting it..PG uses this setup on his small all the time, which is where I got the idea. I have not used it yet, obviously, and am undecided wether I will line it with foil or just let it go....this can be had for I believe less than $20[p]
    Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    GrillMeister,Can you bring me your SUV that I saw full of W-G? I wish!! Sorry, but I was given one W-G bag, now gone. We have a Royal Oak factory nearby and Bi-Lo supermarkets in Knoxville carry "Natural Wood" and "Cowboy"(yuk).Natural Wood is Brazilian but it is not like W-G... When do you get here?

• GrillMeister
    Options
    tn slagamater,[p]We're heading out on Friday and will arrive on Saturday. We'll be there till the day after Christmas, then we head up to Dayton to visit my folks before heading back for New Years.[p]I'll part with a couple of bags if you'd like. I'm gonna have to leave a couple with the inlaws for the low & slows anyway. It looks like I'll be making another pallet order sooner than I thought. [grin]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    WessB,[p]Very cool! Let me know how it works out!

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • WessB
    Options
    gridish.jpg
    <p />WessB,
    Heres another pic with the actual grid for the small sitting on top of the dish, to kinda give you a perspective...its like this thing was made for indirect on a small....this has all been tried and tested by PG and it works great[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    tn slagamater,[p]No email yet. Make sure you take away the spaces in my email address.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    WessB,
    A 9" pie pan fits perfect in the deep dish and keeps it clean.
    Larry

[ul][li]Pie Pan in Deep Dish[/ul]
  • WessB
    Options
    YB,
    Thanks..I figured it would, I just hadnt gotten around to trying it yet...Happy Holidays to you and Kaye.[p]Wess

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    WessB,[p]Now you did it. I'll have to order one of those and a 2nd grid, it's a great idea PG has there. By the way, good job on the new web site, I look forward to seeing it grow, thanks.[p]Chuck

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    WessB,
    At the last eggtoberfest, RumandJerk was telling me about this set up. He has been using that deep pizza dish as a platesetter on his small for some time.
    Maybe he will chime in soon....

Apollo Beach, FL