Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3-2-1 Question

Options
BayouMark
BayouMark Posts: 284
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did some ribs 3-2-1 on saturday and they were done after 2. I did put some rib sauce on and glazed them for maybe 15 mins. My dome was 250 the entire cook and when I foiled I did it with a stainless pan with 1/2 apple juice. Any ideas/opinions wht they cooked so fast? Was it the liquid? :ermm: :unsure:

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Did you do them indirect?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    If they were done after 2 hours you never would have got to the foil stage!!

At what point did you put them in the pan with Apple Juice?

3 hours in the smoke indirect..

1 Hour in WRAPPED in foil with a bit of juice. indirect

UPTO 1 hour back in the smoke. Direct or indirect.
  • BayouMark
    BayouMark Posts: 284
    Options
    Clarification:

Sorry for not being clearer. 3 hrs 250 dome indirect. 2 hrs in foil wrapped stainless pan with apple juice and then they were done. I did the foil indirect as well. Mt egg never went above 250 and the thermometer had been calibrated.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    when ribs come out of the foil stage they are fully cooked but sometimes they are a little too fall of the bone and slightly mushy, the last hour is to firm those fully cooked ribs up a little, it isnt really a cooking stage, its more to firm them up and to carmalize a little sauce on them.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I agree with fish. The foil basicly steams the ribs and makes the meat fall off the bone. The hour out of the foil just dries or firms them up a little bit and gives you a chance to mop with your sauce and make the sauce glaze and warm up. You did good, you just may want to use the last step to keep from being mushy.