Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who's doing Low & Slows tonight?

Options
GrillMeister
GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Who's cooking tonight and what?

Cheers,

GrillMeister
Austin, Texas

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    i'm still on line here this evening from virginia, but i finished cooking earlier. .. .had a most eggcellent dinner of stuffed pork loin and potato pancakes. . .all egged. .. [p]what you got cookin tonight??

• GrillMeister
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I put on a 8 lb. brisket about an hour ago. Low and slow at 225. Trying a local Texas rub cut with Turbinado sugar.[p]39 degrees and a clear sky. I'll hang in there for a couple more hours just to watch the stars and smell the smoke.[p]Beers!

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    sounds like a winner. . .gettin ready to go night night. . .expecting snow/freezing rain tonight. . .suppposed to be a mess around here from about 6 am till noon. .. [p]beers back at ya. . .

• GrillMeister
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Stay safe and watch the slippery stuff! We get that once in a while here in Austin.[p]Gnight!

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]It's about 7:00 am woke up to check my brisket. Egg at about 225 degrees, brisket at 167 degrees! All is going as planned. Should be done in about an hour. When she reaches 180, off she comes, into foil, wrapped in towels, an into a cooler to await our guests at 2:00 this afternoon! [p]"I love the smell of smoke in the morning. It smells like ... BBQ!
    Smokey

• GrillMeister,
    I just took two Boston Butts off the gas ceramic and have them wrapped in foil and newspaper for an hour or so before pulling. What a mess I have to clean up there, even with a drip pan under the butts during the cook.[p]I have two more on the large egg with the internal temp at 165°F, so they still have a way to go. That should give me about 20 pounds or more of pulled pork for the co-workers tomorrow. I spoiled them last year, my first Christmas with the egg, so this year they hinted pretty good and kept mentioning how great the pork was last Christmas.[p]I am getting a black smoke & grease build-up on Humpty's dome. Has anyone used a wire brush or some handy devise to clean it off?[p]Starting to rain here in Clearwater but at least the temperature is in the mid 60's.[p]Have a great day everyone!
    TerryF

• GrillMeister
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]It was 6:45 AM when I got up to check on Humpty. It's till chugging away at 225, but its a chilly morning at 27 degrees.[p]On an off topic, the news of Saddam's capture is a great Christmas present for our troops!

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    Smokey,[p]Sounds like a winner! You mean you're going to skip breakast?

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]Heck no, you hear of steak and eggs? I'll have brisket and eggs (I have to make sure it's safe for our guests)!

• GrillMeister
    Options
    Smokey,[p]Oh yeah. Brisket & Eggs. Sounds good to me. Be sure to do a proper test. [grin]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister,[p]Not exactly low, and clearly not slow, I did try the smoked nuts recipe posted earlier in the week. Made a couple of changes - one was that I used a cup of raw pecans in addition to the raw almonds, and the other was that I used Tony Cacheres (sp?) as the seasoning. Smoked over cherry wood at 325 degrees for about 20 minutes, and these babies are marvelous. [p]Not sure it I soaked them in water a little too long, but they are not as crunchy as I like, but great tasting. Yum.

• I read the forum because I love to hear what all you guys are cooking. Don't have my own egg but have friends that do and love the taste! Thanks for posting the comments on Saddam...I agree.

• GrillMeister
    Options
    Smilinguy,[p]How'd the pecans turn out? I picked up 4 lbs. of them to try my hand at smoking them.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister,
    Actually, I like the pecans even better than the almonds. They seem to soak up more of the smokey flavor. I would only soak them for 5 minutes or so in water. Mine are not as crunchy as I would like, but very tasty. [p]I think the ratio of 1 tablespoon of olive oil per cup of nuts is right on, but if you are going to use a dry spice that includes salt, you may not want to use additional salt. Might overdo it. JMO

• Chainsmoker
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    two pork butts going on tonight!

• GrillMeister
    Options
    Smilinguy,[p]Thanks for the tip. My almonds turned out pretty good for the first batch.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    chainsmoker,[p]Beers & Even Temps to ya tonight!

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    chainsmoker,
    4 butts on now