Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

T'was a cold and blustery night!

Options
Smokey
Smokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's in the upper 30s (temp) and raining outside and I can't think of less favorable weather to start the egg. A friend asked me to smoke a brisket for them, so I'm getting the large ready! I have full confidence that she will burn all night, but it's not great weather to be outside! The egg is full of lump and temp is slowly climbing.[p]Smokey

Comments

• Smokey,
    I've got a brisket in the egg right now waiting to hatch. I'm in New Jersey, so the weater isn't too great this time of year. It is at times like this that I really love my dual probe Redi-Chek. It is wonderful to monitor things from in front of the fire with a bottle of wine.

• Smokey
    Options
    Petear,[p]I haver a polder that is very useful (a wireless one is on my wish list) I'm about to put the brisket on and let it go all night! I don't mind cooking in cold weather (nor does the egg), but the rain (a very cold rain) really sucks! The finished product is still good! What temp are you cooking to?
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    Smokey,[p]I'm on central time here in Austin, TX and it's going to be in the mid 30's tonight as well, but at least the rain stopped last night.[p]I'm going to slap on a 8 lb brisket around 10:00 PM tonight and let the BBQ Guru do it's job overnight.[p]It's been a while since I've done a brisket and I'm looking forward to some serious slicing tomorrow.[p]Beers & Even Temps to you tonight![p]GrillMeister

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Smokey
    Options
    Grill Meister,[p]Thanks for the thoughts. You know very well, that the "GREEN MONSTER doesn't care much what the temperature is outside, I'm the wimp! I'm cooking a 10 and a half pound brisket and looking forward to some great Q for guest who are coming around 2 tomorrow afternoon![p]best to ya![p]Smokey
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Smokey,
    Oh to see the 30's again. We haven't got above freezing for 3 days with 8 inches of snow and sleet. Maybe Sunday we can hit that magical number of 32. Pushed snow for 21 hours.
    Mr. Egg will do fine. Maybe I can get back to cooking Monday.
    Hope things work out well.[p]CWM

• Smokey
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]BTW, I'm using MickyTs rings (#5 I think). I use them for low and slow cooks and have been great. The BBQ Guru sound great, but not part of my tool kit yet!

• Smokey
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Guess it's a slow time for the car wash business Where are you that it's been below freezing for 3 days? I grew in in Rochester, NY and I remember that kind of weather :-) Don't miss all of the grey days!
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Smokey,
    My wife has asked me to smoke a couple of butts. The freezing rain is just starting. It's going to be a wonderful night!![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Smokey,
    I only cooked a 2 pounder. Had the temp at 250 and the brisket climbed steadily to 153 degrees. Once there, I got stuck (plateaued) for over an hour. Once it started moving again I went to 180 on the thick side, assuming the thinner side would be 190. Besides, I was hungry.[p]I have got to tell you it was one of the best pieces of meat I've ever eaten. The egg is truely a wonder.

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Smokey,
    South of Kansas City, MO about 15 miles. It is sunny out and still cold. When the weather breaks, I'll post again in about 10 days.[p]CWM

• Here in Eugene it has been raining straight since midnight Saturday, weatherman claims it will continue through Sunday. Over 2 1/2 inches now and climbing.[p]Brining a bunch of salmon and putting on my Big Chief early in the morning for a long cold smoke. Probably have to insulate the smoker to get any temp out of it.
  • Smokey
    Options
    duck,[p]Cold smoked salmon sounds great (maybe sliced thin and on a begal)! [p]BTW, are cooking on an egg? Either way, you're welcome here, but I find that egg cooking is about the same in cold temps as it is in mild. The weather has more od an effect on the cook than the cooker! The only thing that can be an issue is wind. In that case, I just turn my lower vent away from the wind.
  • Smokey
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I've read enough of your posting to know you'll be snug in you bed, letting your egg do the work, but freezing rain is never fun unless you're a kid and school closes![p]I know is sound bad, but I want to see your butt and I'll say a prayer![p]Smokey
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    Smokey,[p]Thanks. Got the brisket on the egg at 10:30 PM Central. The Guru is puffing a way and Wicked Good is doing its best. I'm enjoying a few frosty ones coupled with some chilled 100% Blue Agave Anjeo.[p]While the Guru does make things simpler, I still like to go out, see the stars and smell the smoke. Ahhh, 39 degrees, but a clear night and the stars are bright.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas