Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Early morning disaster.... averted?

Options
Teach42
Teach42 Posts: 219
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Overnight brisket cook. Put it on around 8pm. Dome temp right around 225. Held completely steady until midnight, didn't move one tiny bit. Internal temp when I went to sleep was right around 150

Woke up at 5:30am and checked the remote therm to see internal temp had dropped to 124. Ran downstairs and dome temp was below 200. Maybe something like 150-175. Egg was noticeably cooler to the touch. However, when I opened the lid, I could SEE that there were still coals going in there.

So I threw up the vents and got it up to a dome temp of 275-ish, which is were it's sitting now. I'm working on bumping that up to about 300.

So the golden question is... Think the meat is safe? Considering the egg was going strong when I went to sleep, it had to have taken several hours to get down to the temperature it was, and I was measuring from the deepest part of the flat. So it's possible the exterior never dipped below 140 at all. Trouble is, I just don't know.

Thoughts/reassurances?

Comments

• Teach42
    Options
    5:54am, dome temp is just about 300. Internal temp on the deepest part of the flat is 140.

I have the oven going at 275 just in case, but I think I'm going to leave it on the Egg for now and just check it every half hour or so.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I think it is fine. It was 5 1/2 hours between the two checks, so it would be very hard for everyhing to have dropped below 140 for anything like 4+ hours.

At this point there is no point putting it in the oven.
  • SteveinTN
    SteveinTN Posts: 232
    Options
    yes,
    I had a simular ting happen

- fired up egg at 7pm
    - added two buts @ 8pm 230degrees
    - all good about 10pm
    - 2:30 am egg dome at 150 degrees
    - opened vents hit vent with a blow dryer rose quickly to 250 dome
    - 7am still 240 dome......

Ok i dont know.
  • Teach42
    Options
    I actually took the Egg up to about 350 dome and then let it settle back to 275.

Went to sleep for an hour and now internal temp is at 189.

I'm thinking it should be fine. I've read that all you need to worry about with this is the exterior temperature because interior is sealed up, and I'd just be hard pressed to think taht it got below 140 at all, much less for a few hours. Especially considering how quickly the meat rebounded.

Crossing fingers, but would love to hear more opinions if anybody has any.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    keep the dome at 250 for over night, that keeps the grate at 225, remember dome is hotter then grate. This will also make the Egg work better and last all night.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I have had that happen to me as well. I have had butt cooks do that in the middle of the night with a my mcormick ET-73 alarming me that my dome temp was low. So, I would get up and fix the problem.
    I have seen past posts where others have said simular thing and were advised by some of our peers to lite three or four places in the lump to be sure you will have a good bed of coles. I have dune that and it helped and this may or may not be your case but it helped me. I'm still learning myself and I got me a CyberQ II and I am sleeping better now. It don't have to be a CyberQ II for you and there are other gadgets out there so this for me has a learning curve and I think it is very intresting and I like all of it!
    Tim
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Yes it was Ross,hope you enjoyed your B-day.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE