Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mussels?

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a 2-pound package of New Zealand green-lip mussels today. Anybody tried Egging them?[p]And and all help appreciated.[p]Ken

Comments

• StumpBaby
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]
    <begin internal struggle>[p]Green Lip Mussels...oh..boy...oh boy....must refrain...MUST refrain..that could be a bad one...remember Stump...you've never had a post removed before..ever....but Green Lip Muscles..Stump..GREEN LIPPED MUSCLES!!!...I gotta....I gotta...no...no...must not...must not...be good Stump...be good...remember..you haven't even replied to the smoked nuts post yet.....ahhh...yes.... <a feeling of calm presides>..ahh....yes...smoked nuts...yes...hmm..smoked nuts...ahh..yes...maybe that'll do it...hmmm..smoked nuts...[p]<end internal struggle>

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    ken, hope i'm not too late weighing in. . .i have done mussels on the egg (at least partly) with great success. .. [p]first, i steam them in a pot over white wine for about 5 minutes until open. . .i then put them into a metal colandar (strain and reserve the white wine liquid). . i get my large set up with grid on top of inverted plate setter, and a small metal flat bottomed grill wok turned upside down on top of the grid. .. i keep the temps low (around 250 dome temp), but i want plenty of smoke so i put a bunch of wood chips to get a good smoke going in the dome. . .i then take the opened mussels (still in shell mind you), in the colandar, and put the colandar on top of the wok so that the mussels are real high up in the dome. .. smoke them for about 10 minutes. . .i found that the mussels got a nice smoke infusion, but they stayed tender. . .[p]in the meantime, i take the reduced liquid, put it in a pan on the stove. . .add one large can of chopped tomatoes (preferably italian plum) and add that to the liquid along with some olive oil . .through in some garlic to taste, maybe a little oregano. . .open the mussels and discard half the shell. . .lay the mussels on a platter and scope the tomatoe mixture (its almost like a brucietta topping) on top of the mussels. .. enjoy with some crusty bread to sop up the excess liquid. . .[p]