Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Question on the 4.2 down for spare ribs

DarnocDarnoc Posts: 2,661
edited 7:25AM in EggHead Forum
I am not quite sure what it means when you pick up a package of ribs and on the price tag they mention 4.2 DOWN.It seems like that might refer to how much one rack out of that pack will weigh around four pounds or under.If that is the case do you look for a lower or higher number for St.Louis style ribs? Sorry for the dumb question but at the super market or butcher you just look at them and pick some out.Visually the lower number seems not to have as much fat or waste.Is this correct?

• CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,795
    Higher number would mean bigger racks and bigger bones. Go for smaller numbers.
  • DarnocDarnoc Posts: 2,661
    I do thank you for the fast response.I doubt if many of the folks on the forum would have the answer to that question and now they will know what is going on.I did check out our old buddy thirdeye and he did mention "three and under" and made the comment not to worry if you can't find them.They must up the price for that size quite a bit.Looking at the higher number there was a lot of excess baggage on the meat and I would be glad to pay just a little more to get a superior end product.Thanks for the heads up.