Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you start your egg?

Options
2»

Comments

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Options
    New Bob,
    The starter cubes I use are really squares about 1/4" thick. You really can't cut them in half. If you look at the BGE Eggcessories you should find them.
    Julie

• Citizen Q
    Options
    QBabe,
    First, I give any leftover lump a good solid stir and scoop out the ash from the bottom, making sure to dig in around the sides between the firebox and the Egg. Second, fill with fresh lump to just above the top of the firebox, pick through and set aside some of the longer pieces. Then I make a shallow hole in the center of the lump and place Seymour Fireblox in the depression, one for a low and slow 200 degree fire, two for a 325-400 degree roast and three for 450-750 pizza and direct grilling. I use Seymour's for everything, the Egg, the hibachi, fireplace, wood stove, and campfies, it's nothing more than a 2"x2" block of compressed sawdust that lights fast and burns hot to get any fire started quick, and they are cheap about $1.79 for a box of 24. After I light the Fireblox, I arrange the longer pieces of lump over and around the starters, close the dome and open the top and bottom all the way for 10-15 minutes, then open the dome make sure that I've got a good fire established and place the slide daisy on top, fully open for a hot fire, slide closed daisy open full for roasting fires, and slide closed daisy open half til I get to my operating temp for a low and slow.[p]I've got a propane/MAPP torch rig, but being old school, I just can't bring myself to use it for Egging. Then again, I can't load the Egg until I've chopped down a stand of oaks, seasoned and buried them in a charcoal mound to produce some good old fashioned Lump, butchered and aged the livestock, harvested the crops, and picked, dried & ground the fresh rub ingredients from the herb & spice garden. Being a purist is tough, but rewarding.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q << getting a little carried away.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    QBabe,
    Good thread...very insightful for all.[p]I use an electric starter. I'm on a patio with an outlet nearby and no little kiddies to worry about.[p]I open the bottom vent, fill with lump and wedge the starter in. Once I've got a some lump started, I close the dome and let it come to cooking temperature.

• Ed Earl
    Options
    QBabe,
    I clear a spot in the leftover lump and put a starter in, when it gets to full flame i pull lump over it, or add more as required.[p]Ed

• Mike in MN
    Options
    tn slagamater,
    My process to a "T." Mapp gas, way better than propane.[p]Quick and EZ.[p]The best lighting demo I saw was in a campground when the guy next door started his Weber with one of those brush burners with a 20 pound propane tank. LOL He had about 100,000 BTU's going, and the coals were gray and ready for burgers in about 1 minute.....amazing what those campers come up with after a couple of beers![p]Mike in MN

• Mike in MN
    Options
    South O,
    Sounds like home![p]Although, I go right to plan B, and stop at the grocery store on my way by. This gives me a chance to see what looks good, or what's on special. I stop at the grocery store about 3-4 nights per week. (my wife stops maybe 3 times per year)[p]I don't have to worry about thawing meat, because my freezer is pathetic...small, stuffed full of (????) Just about useless, other than an ice bucket (of which the ice maker doesn't work)[p]Mike in MN

• Dave's Not Here
    Options
    QBabe,
    Propane torch in three places for 30 seconds each, lid closed, bottom and top vents open.

• QBabe,[p]This has been a super-helpful thread for this beginner.[p]Thanks for posting, QBabe.[p]Bob C
  • AZGator
    Options
    WessB,[p]I do the same as you but always from the top (or as far down as I can get from the top). Lately, it seems to take a while (30-40 minutes) to get to a high temp. [p]Does lighting from the bottom get it to high temp faster? How do you do that?
  • Dave's Not Here,
    I was begining to wonder if I was the only propaner left. MAPP sure works great, but not enough different for me to justify the gas price (my wand takes both).

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    AZgator,
    It does help get up to temp quicker, not good for a low and slow as it tends to get more lump burning faster...all ya gotta do is slide a starter cube in the lower vent door and light it, try to position it near the center....this is also one way to thaw an egg that has frozen shut, IF you still have lump in it...Sorry for taking so ong to respond, I didnt read this far down on the forum.[p]Wess

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    LinkPhoto?GUID=521f1159-6709-7cd1-1633-28ac4c0d25c9&size=
    <p />WessB,
    This is a test...

The Naked Whiz
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    The Naked whiz,
    I stir the limp to filter the ash. Then I fill the firebox. I light 3 spots with the mapp. I add some "non toxic" gell to facilitate the ignition.[p]I open the bottom vent fully, close the lid & leave the daisey wheel off.[p]When it reaches temp,I add pieces of wood for smoke & reassemble the interior for indirect cooking.[p]I keep a cover on the egg as it sets outside.[p]