Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What time should I put this on?

Options
SoonerChris
SoonerChris Posts: 302
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've cooked many butts, briskets, slabs or ribs, but I have never had to have them done at a specific time which leads me to the dilemma.

Here's my situation. I'm doing 26 lbs. of boneless shoulder (4 x 6.5 lbs. average) and have to have them done by 4pm tomorrow. I be using my raised grid (thanks tjv) and my DigiQ II. Here is my thought process, what do YOU think?

Put all 4 shoulders on today about 6pm @ 250*. I'm thinking at least a 13 - 16 hr cook which will put them ready for a 4 hr. cooler ride between 7am - 10am Saturday. If it's looking like they are going to be ready earlier in the window I can switch to ramp mode and get them in the cooler about 1pm but if they are running long it will give me the extra 3 - 6 hrs. I need to make sure they get done.

Thoughts?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    i would wait til 10pm to put them on, shooting for them to finish up around 11am to 3. that gives me the morning to make a decision to either speed things up with more heat or slow things down with less.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    That makes sense to me. I always plan to be done early, and adjust the temps as necessary if it looks like they'll be done too early. You're much better off taking them off early and putting them in a cooler and having a bunch of hungry guests standing around.

Not sure you're going to need 13-16 hours for the cook though. If you have 6.5 lb pieces, they should get done in 10-ish hours, assuming your setup has room to leave an air gap between the pieces. If they are touching, then the longer time is probably a good bet.

Good luck,

-John
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    I only use the "cooler method" if I'm forced to and not as regular practice. For that reason, I'm inclined to go with fish and start at 10:00pm. Mark
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    10 is a good convienient time as well, put them in and go to bed. if you put them in at 6 they might be done before you get up and then theres no time to make adjustments to slow things down
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    You have mail... :)
  • SoonerChris
    Options
    vidalia1 wrote:
    You have mail... :)

Kim, thanks, back at ya with another question.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I sent you another email. I can't get Yahoo from work... :sick: