Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low Temp Control

Options
FatDog
FatDog Posts: 164
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been at this egg thing for about three months now and have not yet tried a low-slow cook. I am trying to smoke some salmon steaks right now at about 225* and am having a hard time keeping the temp steady at that temp. The egg wants to be at 200 or 235 and nowhere in between. What magic am I missing or do I just need to screw around with it some more? Help is always appreciated.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    FatDog,
    Dont be so critical...let it run at 235° if thats easier to maintain...we arent baking here, so the temps arent carved in stone....if it wants to run 235 just pay attention and adjust times as needed....thats close enough that you can follow any recipe/technique you were trying to follow...relax and enjoy..it will be fine..the biggest tip for low temps is dont let it get to hot in the first place...much easier to go up then it is to come down[p]Wess

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    FatDog,
    we might not be baking, but it'd still be nice to control the thing at a desired temp, right?[p]I found that my daisy wheel didn't get good and 'rock-steady' at low temps until it got a good amount of soot and fatty smoke stuff gunked onto it in places. Seriously.[p]I never wash it, but I avoid the dark streaks running down the egg by putting the daisy wheel inside the hot egg, as I am shutting it down. Rather than super-toast the daisy at 750 degrees and clean it entirely, i find that putting it in a dying egg gives it enough time in the oven to render off any true fatty gunk, while leaving behind just enough soot and stickiness to seal up the cracks and keep the top from being too spin-prone.[p]For me, a slightly gunked-up daisy means less draftiness, and a steadier fire at low temps, when the daisy is barely open, and any cracks would constitute a significant amount of additional 'free-are' to draft.[p]just one guy's thoughts.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Love Handles
    Options
    FatDog,
    Theres nothing wrong with 200. I smoke salmon all the time and I look for that magic 200-220 range. I like the moist smoked salmon and can achieve the moistness I want in about an hour at 200-225 direct on the grille. See-Yaa

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    Options
    stike,
    I tend to be in the same camp relative to getting the daisy wheel tightened up. I was thinking about that very subject last night and thought about taking the cap apart and porting and polishing the holes. My daisy wheel has considerable flash left from the casting process and I think taking the Dremmel tool to it may improve the air flow control. I'm likely to add a spring washer to each of the bolts on the daisy wheel to help keep it in place. I know that I am over analyzing this thing too much, but, hey ... that's what I do!

• Love Handles
    Options
    FatDog,
    Theres a way to adjust the daisey wheel so when you open the lid, it doesn't move. Just keep the hinged side of the cap in line with the way the lid opens and it'll never move when you open the lid. Someone has this procedure on their web page, but I can't remember who. See-yaa

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    LoveHandles,
    Tim M has the set up pics[p]Wess

[ul][li]Tim`s daisy[/ul]
  • Mike in MN
    Options
    stike,
    I agree with your thoughts and process. I do about the same thing. Although, I just cleaned mine up "spot free" because it had gotten too cruddy. [p]I did Salmon last night, without incident...but I cooked it a bit hotter than 225. Maintaing that perfect temp isn't that critical....Ballpark works.[p]I have also noticed that Mr. Egg will (sometimes) find a setpoint where it will absolutely maintain. If it is your desired temp, it is a wonderful thing. If it isn't, you will drive yourself crazy trying to change it. One of those learning curve things....[p]Mike in MN