Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

beer butt chicken

edited 2:51PM in EggHead Forum
Do I need a vertical roaster to cook a beer-butt chicken??

Comments

• Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    Big Cat,[p]No. The can is inserted in the cavity and then the bird sort of sits on it. The bird is then upright but without a sitter. [p]Tim

• CornfedCornfed Posts: 1,324
    Tim M,[p]I agree with Tim M. I've done them with only a beer can supporting them and they've all come out awesome! I did notice that I knocked the poor chickens over a couple times when opening the BGE lid, but things still turned out delicious. Yet another example that the BGE is a very forgiving cooker and that sticking a beer can into a chicken before cooking is a very good idea.[p]Cornfed
  • JimWJimW Posts: 450
    Big Cat,
    I'm not sure a vertical roaster AND a beer can would fit in the poor bird.
    JimW

• Big Cat, are those prison chickens? Sorry,,, I'm just in one of them silly moods.

• Cornfed,[p]I just have a hard time picturing a beer can holding up a fat old chicken but I'll give it a try.[p]Thanks

• King-O-Coals,
    Took me a minute but I got it. Pretty good. I guess I deserved it.[p]