Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cracked Egg

Smokin' TSmokin' T Posts: 259
edited 2:37AM in EggHead Forum
This is what I found when doing Beef Jerky on 9/25. :( :(
I noticed juices dripping onto my deck and after close inspection this is what I found. This Egg is 5years old, never had a problem, it has the original gasket. Contacted my dealer and they are going to turn it over to the warranty division. Wish me luck, bye the way, I have no intention of making a flower pot out of it.

Tom
Dunedin, Fl

Cracked in bottom of Egg.
CrackinBGE.jpg
·

Comments

• Don't you know that making jerky is too low temp for the BGE? can only do 200 and above! ;)
    What a bummer...
    ·
  • Smokin' T

That happened to me too. Warranty covers it.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • That crack has probably been there for quite some time I just never noticed it. Bye the way it purred along @ 175 deg. with no problem. :whistle:

Tom
    Dunedin, Fl
    ·
  • Steve
    Did you have any problems aligning the top to the new bottom when you assembled them? Did you have any other problems in the assembly? Any thoughts on this sure would be appreciated.

Tom
    Dunedin,Fl
    ·
  • Tom,

No problems at all with the assembly or alignment. I've taken lots of eggs apart though and I don't get too fussy about all that. I judt sent my dealer a picture almost exactly like you have with the magic marker arrows and all. I cleaned the inside and took pictures to show the crack went right through.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Thanks for the info. Makes me feel better to know that it's a simple job.

Tom
    Dunedin,Fl
    ·
  • ChubbyChubby Posts: 2,790
    No worries!!

Bobby and the BGE Home Office crew are the best!

I paid freight,(ordered some extra stuff while I was at it) and the deed was done!

I'm burrying my old bottom...(filling it partially with sand), and making a fire pit out of it!

Evans
    ·
  • Tom,

I just leave the dome band tight, loosen the lower band and move it over. Just kinda square up the lower band with the base. Thermometer sits over the middle of the lower vent. I would put something fireproof under the egg until you get the new base in case it cracks completely when you are using it.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,577
    175° really? that's unusually low. Have you calibrated your dome thermometer lately?
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • My thermometer is calibrated. Check out Naked Whiz's website on cold smoking jerky with a 2 lb. coffee can...Very informative. I also thought I would have trouble with temperature but it turned out well.

Tom
    Dunedin,Fl
    ·
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    Good Luck Tom!
    ·
  • bubba timbubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Now aren't you glad you have a lifetime warranty? :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
    ·
  • Smokin' TSmokin' T Posts: 259
    Lifetime warranty!!! :cheer: :whistle: :woohoo:
    You betcha!!!!!!

Tom
    Dunedin,Fl
    ·
  • jb1020jb1020 Posts: 41
    5 years on the same gasket? wow :woohoo:
    ·