Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Fidel saved our Eggless summer

Options
mkc
mkc Posts: 544
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So we spent the last 5 months RVing, mostly in Maine where we workamped. We had every intention of getting a small Egg to take with us, but time was short, storage space was questionable, and then there was the economy.... so we went without.

Now, Friday is pizza day in our household and it hadn't been a problem in past years of RVing, but after having our LBGE for a year, well, we were used to phenomenal pizza. And here I was, stuck with just a convection microwave....

I tried all my T-n-T dough recipes, JerryMac, Flagpull, even the Todd English dough that had carried us though last summer. None worked.

Enter Fidel's Mellow Mushroom dough. I'd been meaning to try it but never got a chance on the Egg. With 2 somewhat minor substitutions - malted barley syrup for the molasses and KA bread flour instead of Sir Lancelot, this proved to be the most fabulous pizza dough ever! We did a 4 day refrigerator rise each week. We baked on a Doughmakers pan at 450 (the highest the oven can go). And Pizza Friday was saved!

Thank you, Rod, for saving our summer. If you're ever near DFW, I'll Egg you dinner and Steve will treat you to your choice of homebrew or his famous pinearitas...

Now I'm dying to try the dough on the Egg for the first time this coming Friday!
Egging in Crossville, TN

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Wow - you made pizza in a convection microwave? That's pretty cool.

Glad you enjoyed the dough.
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Yup - it's a Sharp model 1870. It can do micro only, convection (up to 450 F) only, or a 10 or 30% microwave combination it calls "mix".

I do the pizza on convection only. Yours is the only dough that has ever worked well in it, though. I'm not sure what it is - the other recipes I've tried are also multi-day cold rise. The Mellow Mushroom is also the easiest to toss, which does my pizza-making ego good B)

I have a batch in the fridge now to try on the Egg this Friday.
    Egging in Crossville, TN