Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Unbelievable forum--new owner-thermometer

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Word has it that Santa is delivering me a Large BGE. Word has it, My BGE and accessories will arrive 12/23. That's 15 days.[p]I decided to check out your forum and see what the egg was all about. I can see that it's all about cooking, grilling-aholics. You guys are hilarius. It's funny to see people sharing in thier passions. This forum is every bit as energetic as some fly fishing forums I read, and that is pretty suprising to me.[p]Thermometer. I was dissappointed to see the the egg's thermometer is apparently less than impressive. I was so convinced by reading one of the threads, that I'm considering ordering a Tel-tru thermometer
to coincide w/the delivery of my egg. My questions are:
1-Is there any doubt that I should do this?[p]2-Does the 2 1/2" thermometer not work on the Large egg?[p]3-Did anyone try the "wine cork trick" with the original egg thermometer?[p]

Comments

• Scott Borders,
    welcome aboard. . .yes, we are a fun bunch. ...once you get your egg and actually start cooking, you will see why we are all so loyal, insane, devoted, etc. . . .we cook in snow storms, hurricanes, heat waves, cold spells. . .it doesn't really matter, cause its WORTH IT for the magic the egg imparts on/in food. . . my personal motto is "if it was cooked in the oven, on the stove, or in a pot, it now goes in the egg. . .i haven't used my oven for anything other than baked potatoes since i got my egg (and you can bake spuds in the egg too if you want). . .make sure you go check out the naked whiz's and nature boy's web sites for some great cooking ideas, outstanding rubs etc. . .and depending where you live, keep an eye out for an eggfest in your area. . .heck, in any area. . .people travel thousands of miles to attend them, they are not to be missed. . .i already have may 8, 2004 on my calendar for waldorf maryland. . .

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Scott Borders,[p]So far as the thermometer that comes with the BGE - I've had mine for a year now with no problems. I guess I'd wait until something went wrong with it, but that could just be me. If it's not broke ...
  • Pakak,
    i meant to mention that also. . .i have no problems with my dome thermometer either. .. not sure what the hub-bub is all about. ..

• Scott Borders,I have never had a problem with the BGE factory temperature guage. I didn't understand all the hub bub about it either. You should check it in boiling water when you get it, make sure it is adjusted to 212 degrees. Also, get a polder type remote themometer to measure meat temperatures. Everybody uses them. Have fun and welcome aboard!!

• Scott Borders,[p]I've had my BGE about 18 months and I probably need to replace the thermometer. I pretty much need to recalibrate it every second cook or so and I think steam from the boiling water test has gotten under the face, causing considerable condensation, making it difficult to read and probably causing something to rust. It's not that big a deal and as long as I calibrate everything comes out great - kind of a pain to do though. If you're careful I bet your BGE thermometer will work out fine for you for quite sometime. When I get around to it I probably am going to order a Tel-tru - I researched them awhile back and the general consensus was that the 2.5 in probe is just fine.[p]Good luck and welcome.[p]JP

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Scott Borders, been cooking with the original BGE thermometer for about 3 years without any problems. Check once in a while in boiling water but have never needed to adjust. Just clean off the baked-on gunk once in a while.

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Scott Borders,[p]I have to agree with the others in that I have had no issues with any of the thermometer in any of my eggs. Additionally, I find that the thermometer just gives me an idea of the tempersture (range). I don't care if its off a a dozen degrees or not. After all, that's what cooking is about ... isn't it![p]Smokey
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Scott Borders,[p]If it ain't broke don't fix it. I've had my original dome thermometer coming up on 6 years and it still is on the money! I even got anal "way back" and bought a second one . . . just in case. Sits in a desk drawer waiting to be called. One suggestion would be take some clear silicone and lay a little in around the face and the bezel to insure no rain gets in.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Scott Borders,
    Not only are we entertaining, some of us don't even know how to post correctly without trying it 3 times...duh! Sorry about that.[p]I've not seen a thermometer problem on my large....I just lose the entire lid doing Thanksgiving Turkey. [p]Glad to have you on board......Fly fishing, huh? My kind of guy.[p]Welcome.[p]Mike

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    wardeggs.jpg
    <p />Scott Borders,
    I have not had a problem with my BGE thermometers and I have a few.
    Larry

• Scott Borders,
    You have gotten so many good tips, all I can say is welcome.[p]CWM

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    FAQ_do3.jpg
    <p />Scott Borders, I have had very good luck with the BGE thermometer - been using the current one since 03/2001 with absolutely no problems - if you want to browse, check out the link below - all done on my medium BGE, but would be about the same done on a large![p]Life is GOOD :~}

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Scott,
    Unless you happen to get an older style, plastic lensed thermometer, you should NOT have a problem providing you calibrate it now and then. If you get a thermometer with with a plastic lense, do NOT except it. Period.[p]A little caulking around the outside with a silocon caulk should help with the leakage problems, but I haven't bothered. When I get a little condensation I just slap the thermometer in the oven for a little bit and bake it out.[p]Now the Mini is a whole 'nother story...[p]The REAL thermometer is stuck in the meat anyway![p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• Scott Borders,
    Did you go to Fayette County High School?

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Scott Borders,
    First of all, "Welcome to the Green Room"> As to your questions:
    1. I switched to the Tel-True because of my luck with the original BGE Thermometer, and I have been very satisfied with them. I find that the accuracy is better, and I don't have to calibrate them as often. I do an accuracy check before each cook.
    2. Yes the 2 inch stem will work on the Large
    BGE. I use this when I am utilizing a raised grid, and have found that I haven't had any of what I am cooking come in contact with the stem, like I did when using the % inch stem.
    3. Yes, you can use the wine cork on the BGE thermometer. This idea can from people on the forum that had and has a lot more experience with the BGE than I have, and I trust their opinions, and I follow their lead.
    Again, Welcome Aboard!
    Hammer[p]

• Scott Borders, Don't waste your money on a thermometer. The one you get will work fine and you will soon discover a lot of other ways to spend the cash.[p]p.s. I expect you to post some trout recipes next summer.

• Scott Borders,
    The original will work...for awhile or forever. But it DOES need calibration on a regular basis. The TelTrue doesn't[p]EZ to calibrate, just one more thing to do.[p]My original lasted about a month before it fogged over. (Minnesota weather) [p]After fighting with the junk original, I spent $40 on the TelTrue, and that ended everything. BIG display, accurate, no fog, no calibration.[p]End of story.[p]
    Your first purchase should be a dual probe remote thermometer. Redi check ET73 is the preferred model. Reasonably priced, ends the guesswork, accurate, works like a champ.[p]Mike in MN

• Gfw
    MyBge.jpg
    <p />Mike in MN, I just calibrated mine after a few uses (since 3/01 and I stilluse the BGE a minimum of twice each week) and it really didn't need any adjustments - in fact I just did two 7lb butts for 22+ hours with only the BGE dome thermometer as a guide - at 19 hours I added my polder and at 23 hours all was perfect. [p]Before spending any money, try what comes with the egg. After trying, if it doesn't work, you can always buy something different - just my thoughts.[p][p]

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Scott Borders,
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new egg you have coming. I have read all the post below, now my two cents worth. LOL[p]I went through two BGE thermometers in the first 6 months of owning my first egg, these had the plastic lens and after awhile I could just spin the dial by hand. In my area they are just under $20. I have one of the newer BGE glass thermometers and it's' working O.K. [p]I also have two Tel_Tru for my other eggs. As you can see below some of us have had good luck or bad luck. I think I would go with the Tel-Tru at $19 plus shipping and would probably get two, always good to have a spare or maybe for the second egg you will want later. LOL[p]That being said, my BGE thermometer was not included with the egg, it was extra. If you get a BGE thermometer as a package deal or gift just use it till it gives you trouble, you may be one of the lucky ones.[p]Good Luck with whatever you decide,[p]New Bob

• chainsmoker,
    No I'm a Tampa boy. However, I learned of a lawyer in Kentucky that shares my name. I'm a lawyer too, so that was pretty funny. Speaking of funny, "chainsmoker" is real funny.

• Larry,
    You need counseling, not thermometers.

• YB
    Scott Borders,
    Have you been talking to my wife? I have one more,it's here at my office...Welcome to the BGE family.
    Larry

• YB,I just noticed the front, featured postion of your mini and the table holding it. Is that a stock table? I need something like that...mini on the way

• YB
    tn slagamater,
    I made the table out of a old typewriter table and Corian.The one I have at work for the mini is made out of a table I bought at Sam's.The one from Sam's is chrome wire with three shelves.
    Larry

[ul][li]Mini Corian table[/ul]
  • Gfw,[p]Funny you mention the two Butts. I did two 6 pounders at the same time this weekend. My fire got a little cold on me during the night as the wind caused the coals to burn unevenly, and mine took about 24 hours. Curious to know what temp you were using. I kept my fire around 200 degrees, which may have been a tad low.
  • Gfw
    ToyCollector, The temp was stuck right at 250 right through the night. I think you may be right, 200 is a little low. In fact I let the temp go to 300+ after the pleateau was finished.[p]
  • YB,[p]Very nice deck. I just picked up a BGE Chiminea last Friday.
  • wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    New Bob,
    My BGE thermometer was part of the package deal that came with my egg. It's ludicrous that the thermometer, daisey wheel, and plate setter are sold a la carte when they are fundamental to the basic function of the egg. I was sooooo glad the dealer I bought mine from is as "reasonable" as me LOL![p]Anyway, I too, have a glass-dial thermometer. The only time I've had trouble with it (since new in July), is when I went nuclear temps and "spun the dial." Re-calibration in boiling water per the owner's manual so far, has always brought it back to normal operation. I was ready to go to Tel-Tru (and still am when I do need anew bulb), but haven't had any real trouble since I learned how to pay attention to my dome temps and react at the right times to keep from spinning the dial.[p]Back to my original message: As a new egger, get a thermometer (and a daisy wheel and a plate setter and an egg nest...or a table that holds the grid level near your waistline).