Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CAN'T GET HOTTER

Options
NJ-Professor
NJ-Professor Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The only time I've gone real hot on my BGE is making pizza. I can never get it much beyond 420 degrees.

I'm 99% sure there's enough coal, the gasket seems fine and the thermometer reset.

All ideas appreciated.

Thanks.....

Comments

• Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Make sure your fire box is aligned with the draft door opening and make sure all the vent holes are clear on the fire box and fire grate. If you are using dry lump you should be able to get there.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Can you tell us about your setup..i.e. platesetter pizza stone etc?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    If the firebox opening is lined up with the lower vent, ash cleand out and the grate clear and as Panhandle Smoker said, you have dry lump........... then try a different brand of lump or another bag it may have been a bad bag, changing it took care of the problem.

Good Luck,

Bordello
  • NJ-Professor
    Options
    Thanks....

The coal doesn't seem to matter. Right now I'm using Cowboy Hardwood Lump.

The platesetter pizza stone is authentic BGE but same deal without.
  • NJ-Professor
    Options
    Thanks....

The coal doesn't seem to matter. Right now I'm using Cowboy Hardwood Lump.

The platesetter pizza stone is authentic BGE but same deal without.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    nj-professor,

So you are using just the platesetter? How long are you allowing it to heat?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Boomer
    Boomer Posts: 115
    Options
    Try this,,,
    Clean it out completely, make sure the fire ring's holes are cleaned-out with a wire brush, start the fire and get a small blower and force some air through the draft door, make sure the daisy wheel is off, Trust me, you will get the temps WAAAAY up if you do this...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Cowboy will get as hot as you want! and you can get it there with no additional equipment. Also, just because the daisy came with the Egg doesn't mean you have to use it. You will never reach 600+ with the daisy on.

Sometimes putting the platesetter on before the coals have really started will impede the airflow enough to slow down the process.

Often the problem you describe is caused by obstructed airflow, caused by ash built up from previous cooks.

1) Use your ash tool and stir the lump to dislodge the ash before you top it off with new lump. also remove the ash from below the grate at the bottom of the firebox. make sure the airholes are clear as well.

2) light your fire, keeping your vent door wide open and keep your daisy off.

3) leave your dome open until your firestarters are burned up. (use at least 3 firestarters, equally spaced from the center)

4) when firestarters have burned up and are not smoking, close your dome and watch the temp rise. Leave the draft door wide open and the daisy off. If you're intending to use a platesetter, you can put it in now.

5) you don't have to stay there and watch it, but check on it every 5 minutes or so. you could hit 600/700 in as little as 5 minutes or as long as 20. Just don't walk away and forget to pay attention.

you have to wait until the smoke is clear or light, wispy blue before you start to cook anyway, this tends to take a good 20 minutes to get there so that's plenty of time to get to any temp.

good luck