Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to buy with gas grill funds

Options
bryansj
bryansj Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It looks like I'll be selling my PSG gas grill next week for $250. I've had it for over seven years now, but bought a large Egg around the middle of July. The only time I've used it since has been to fire it up to clean off the grates thinking I may use it again. I mentioned it to a coworker and he said he'd like to buy it and will pick it up when he can borrow a truck next week...

So now I'm thinking of putting the money into the Egg. I have a plate setter and the BGE wire rack extender that clamps to the main grid. I was thinking of getting an Adjustable Rig, oval grate, slider kit, spider, and small stone for indirect. Maybe a rectangular drip pan for the sliding level as well. Another option would be to buy none of that and put the money into getting The Stoker...

Buying the adjustable rig would allow me to cook different stuff and be able to make up for the lost grid area of the gas grill (which I haven't needed yet). The Stoker would give me a new tech toy and allow me to sleep better at night.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Do not stop to think. Call Tom and get the Adjustable Rig, oval grate, slider kit, spider. I use mine 80% of the time. Very hard to screw up cooking high in the dome...... ;)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    I bought the adjustable rig and love it. I got the wok, also.They would be my first choice.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Ditto what those folks are saying...or get a mini :woohoo:
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    While the Stokers and and the other automatic blower systems seem like really whiz-bang gear, it seems to me that unless you plan on doing almost catering level quantities, you might get a lot more use out of the long list you made above. (Not that I'd turn down a Stoker.) And if you want a cool toy, and don't have one, a Thermapen is a great tool. It can be used on all sorts of cooking, not just Eggin'. And its great when the wife says "The meat's still pink, are you sure its cooked?" 3 seconds later, and the Thermapen says its food.

Cast Iron cookware also really extends the Eggs capability. Likewise woks and paella pans.
  • bryansj
    Options
    Yes, I already have a Thermapen plus a Maverick ET-73.

The rig was the first thing that came to mind when spending the grill money. However, the Stoker comes to mind when the Maverick yells at me in the middle of the night...
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    I can tell you two things.

First, after making them the "manual" way once or twice, I would never make ribs or pork butt again if I didn't have a Guru. Mine is an old elementary version, but lets me be gone for hours or sleep at night worry-free. You decide whether it's worth it to you.

Second, the adjustable rig and some of its accessories will make your Egging experience a delight. Talk to Tom, he won't steer you wrong!

Judy
    San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Don’t have a “stoker”, but I may some day…
    For sure you want a stone or two and a raised rig of some sort.
    In addition: A good thermometer (Thermapen), welders gloves and a third hand are good choices…In my mind!
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    My suggestion would be to go with the Digi Q or Cyber Q. I have both and I really love the Cyber Q.
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    My votes for adj rig. I have used mine almost every cook since I bought it. It's a great product.
  • SmokinJ
    SmokinJ Posts: 220
    Options
    I would get a stoker if you think your good enough on multiple level cooking. Could I run without a stoker? of course but it sure is nice. I use it on most cooks over 2 or 3 hours and do whatever , great for all night cooks.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :woohoo: a Mini!
  • Egg-N-Tino
    Options
    Adjustable ALL the way. You will get mileage from the rig than the Stoker.