Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Fat Cap Quandary!

Nu-GuyNu-Guy Posts: 136
edited 3:57AM in EggHead Forum
Well, unwapped the 7.25lb brisket I picked up from the butcher yesterday. I had asked for a nice fat cap to be on it. It looks like they had started to trim the fat off and then realized that I had wanted it left on. Half of the brisket has the fat on and half has it trimed off. It must be they tried to make amends 'cause they laid a hugh chunk of fat (at least 1/2") on top of the brisket where all the fat had been trimmed off. Question is, shall I tie the loose fat cap onto the brisket with some cooking twine and go ahead with the cook, or discard it? What are your recommendations?
Thanks, NG

·

Comments

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,341
    Nu-Guy,
    Just lay it on there. You might want to cut it to about 1/4 inch thick. It'll do it's job of basting the chunk-o-chest while it cooks.[p]Happy brisket
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·
  • CatCat Posts: 556
    Nu-Guy,[p]I agree with NB. You only need about 1/4" on top of a brisket. For extra flavor put some of your rub (if you're using one) on the meat before laying the fat over it, & score the attached fat so the rub will reach the meat in spots.[p]Cathy

·