Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best PIZZA Yet!!!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just kiddin, Havent even exchanged it yet. But
when I go there later today I need to know what to
get to make the pizza. I'm thinking, Pizza stone,
place setter, and some firebricks. Anything else?
Dylan

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme,
    A pizza peel is a must. I have two so I can prepare another pie while one is cooking. You don't need the plate setter if you have 5 firebricks. I use 5 thin firebricks, a second grate with pizza stone. [p]That is all you need! Except flour, cornmeal and the sauce ingredients. Cooking pizza uses plenty of lump, so stock up. It is worth it. Keep us posted.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,
    Thanks Nature Boy, I have a peel, (specially to the women) But what do you mean by a second grate. Also does
    the grate that comes with it do ok or should I get
    a cast iron one?
    Thanks,
    Dylan

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Q.N.E tyme ,
    I just picked up a weber 18 inch grate. It works great.
    I usually put that on the bottom, then the firebricks, with 3 flat and 2 on their sides. Those 2 hold up your BGE grate, with the pizza stone. Plenty of ceramic mass to create your "oven", and the stone is at a nice height for inserting and removing the pie.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,
    OK, I'm on the same page with you now. I thought you
    were talking about the fire grate.
    thanks
    Dylan

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme, Pizza on the BGE is great - take the extra time and make Spin's recipe (recipe section) and you'll love the results - if you want to see a few pictures, check out the link below. Good luck![p]
    [ul][li]Pizza on The BGE[/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme,[p]The setter and pizza stone combination is a nice one and doesn't require firebricks. Firebricks can be used two ways. Either to form a complete layer to support a stone or as spacers to support two stacked stones. Both ways make great pies. The only consideration when stacking the setup is that the top surface of the pizza stone be equal to or slightly above the opening lip of the EGG. This positioning will allow easy access for insertion and removal of the pies. When using the firebricks I prefer the stacked pizza stones with firebrick spacers. I use 3 spacers made from one firebrick cut in thirds. The stacked stones provide sufficent mass to provide an even cook for multiple pies without the lump usage heating a firebrick layer requires.[p]My appologies if I posted to late to help. BTW, a wooden peel is worth looking into.[p]Spin
  • Spin,
    I tried to order the place setter today but he told me
    they were out of stock and indicated that the firebricks
    were just as good anyway. I did order the pizza stone,
    should I have ordered two? Do pizza stones like you
    get at Dillards work just as well? He said the BGE stone
    was made out of the same stuff as the egg. gfw I've
    been to your site and Tims site so much in the last
    few weeks I feel like I owe you guys some rent.
    Thanks
    Dylan[p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme,[p]Pizza stones are made of various clay mixtures or are ceramic. The ceramic will not break with heat. Clay stpnes will work. Check the manufacturers info carefully, as they should state the maximum recommended cooking temp. Look for one that is good for at least 475+F. I have one that has survived many cooks that ventured past 600F. I've also broken several. The clay stone set on the ceramic one would be the best guarantee of good results. Use firebrick as spacers. Allow the stones to heat up and cool down with the EGG.[p]Spin

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme, JFYI, I handle all the cash and checks for rent here on the forum..E.mail me for the address to send it :-)
    C~W[p](I have a working arrangement to support CornFed in disaster insurance also..Make checks payable to the above)
    Heeeeeeeeeeeeee!!![p]