Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone Up?? Temp control

Options
llrickman
llrickman Posts: 654
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put on two 7-8 lb buts at around midnight. I cant get my temp below 300.

Ive got the slide open maybe 1/8-1/4" and the daisy wheel about a third open.

Will i be ok at this temp with the butts or do i really need to get it down closer to 250?

The last ones i did i had trouble getting it to 250 and cooked between 230 and 215 by morning

This is just my second attempt doing butts but the first one turned out delicious

Ive got 10 people going to be here tomorrow for the texas
tx tech game GOOOO Red Raiders !!!!
2 LBGE
Digi Q
green Thermapen
AR

Albuquerque, NM

Comments

• Little Chef
    Options
    Iirlick....did you get your temp down? Sounds like you have to top open too wide?? Match the opening on the top, to the opening on the botton, for a low and slow, and tweak from there.....Best wishes to you! I'm sure they will be great! :);)
  • llrickman
    Options
    i think i got it its close to 250 now it just took awhile to come down to there

At first it was around 200 opened it up a little and went a little higher than i wanted now its where it needs to be

Thanks
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • BobinFla
    Options
    It takes a long time for the temperature to drop.

Don't overshoot your target temperature.

Make small, even tiny adjustments on the way up.

Have patience. Especially when cooking butts. It's very forgiving.

Just for the record, 300 or even a little higher isn't really too high for cooking a pork butts. It takes less time.

BOB
  • highpress
    Options
    you might also went to calibrate your thermometer. Mine was off by 20+ degrees. Stick it in boiling water, should read 212 degrees. Well, actually depending on your location (altitude) and barometric pressure for the day this will vary slightly. Check out Naked Whiz size and I think GG posted a link in a previous thread on how to calculate temp of boiling water. I've got a teltru therm installed in my egg. think its better than the stock one.
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    I guess the most important thing is your butts will be fine. No worries. Some people here have had great success at cooking butts in the 300 range. The next thing to figure out is how you got to 300? Was your temp honed in at 250 before the meat went on? Was your plate setter already in the egg while it was honing in? I guess the main thing to remember is always get everything in the egg right after lighting it so you can preheat everything with the egg. Bring everything up to 250 with the egg temp. After you reach 250 let it set for 30 minutes or so and see if it moves. If it don't then you're ready for the meat. Most people who end up at 300 when they wake have tinkered with the vents after adding the cold meat. When you add the meat the egg will drop 75 degrees. Dont touch it. Give it a couple hours to recover. It usually will come right back to 250. If you crank on the vents and get it back to 250 right when the meat goes on you will overshoot when the meat temp rises. Hopefully this helps.Good luck
  • BobinFla
    Options
    All EXCELLENT points.

Cold meat lowers the temperature in the Egg, but the settings for the settled temperature remains constant.

BOB
  • llrickman
    Options
    I had it at around 260 for about an hour i put on the meat checked it later and was up around 300.

I got it down to about 275 by the time i went to bed this morning it was around 210. I cracked open the daisy a little and it went right back to almost 300.

All turned out well though , they are wrapped in foil and towels in the cooler as thet finished a couple hours sooner than i thought they would but they look excellent and have great bark on them.

I'll post a couple pics later when i take them out and pull
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM