Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare Ribs anyone?

Options
FatDog
FatDog Posts: 164
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have just experienced my first bad cook on the egg (about 2 months into the whole eggsperience now). I wanted to do some babyback ribs on Sunday but my local Sam's had only spare ribs so I thought ... why not ...[p]Well, I did a rack and a half using 3/1.5/1 at 325*. The ribs were both tough and very greasy. I have a rack and a half left to cook and want them to be much better than these. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    FatDog, I quit cooking spares about 3 years ago, tough to beat babybacks.
    When I did cook spares, it was a 5 hour minimun cook at 225-250 indirect with drip pan on top of placesetter.
    I never foil any ribs because I just don't see a need for it. I know a lot of people do. Just every cook, it is your preference. Good luck next time.[p]CWM

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy FatDog,
    My friends, family and I have been real happy with the spares I have cooked. We've been doing pretty well with them in competition also, so the judges like them too. I have cooked a bunch of both babies and spares, and while back ribs are nice, I can't see spending double for them. [p]Have you tried cutting spares down to St. Louis style?? Did you trim down most of the exterior fat??[p]I vote for giving spares another go. Also, 5.5 hours at 325 with 1.5 of that in foil sounds like a bit too much cookage...but i wouldn't think they be tough and fatty...just a bit dry and falling apart. Are your thermometers all calibrated?[p]Good luck with the second round. Yell with any questions!
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Sounds like I need a quick butcher's education. What are St. Louis style ribs and how do you cut spares to get them?

• FatDog,[p]I vote for you to try again.
    The first ribs I cooked were a disaster but the last few times have been great.
    Remove the membrane. (A must)
    Paint them generously with plain old mustard, place them in a zip lock bag, refrigerate over night.
    I use a rib rack, place setter and drip pan.
    I try to maintain a temperature of 240.
    The last I cooked were taken up at an internal temperature of 170 degrees. It took a little over 5 hours.[p]Fun and great eating.[p]Best of luck. [p]Kyle[p][p][p][p]

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    FatDog,
    My Thanksgiving Eve meal was a rack of spare ribs. The reason is that spare ribs should be about the simplest thing to cook. The less you mess with them the better they turn out. [p]First off all, I prefer fresh ribs to frozen ribs. I think that freezing affects the moisture and texture of the rib meat. As stated, I removed the membrane. I applied a generous coating of Coarse Grind Dizzy Dust. Now for the simple part, I rolled the ribs up and hold the rack together with about 6 bamboo skewers so that it kept a cylinder shape with the large and down. [p]For a single rack of ribs, I prefer to my small egg. I get the temp to about 180, a chunk of pecan and a chunk of red oak on the fire. I stood the ribs up directly on the grill and closed the lid. I set the time for 5.25 hours. For the first half hour or so, I have the bottom vent open all the way and the daisy wheel almost completely closed. I keep this configuration until the dome temp gets to 225 at which time I close the bottom vent and adjust the daisy wheel to keep the temp constant.[p]Now for the most important step: Do NOT open the dome lid until you are ready to take the ribs off. Just keep an eye on the temp. On average, the ribs probably get cooked between 225-250 and at those temps the ribs can even sit for an extra half hour on the egg with out a problem. If you must look at the ribs, pull the daisy wheel off and look inside with a flashlight.[p]I have not tried this method on my larger eggs, simply because I rarely cook more than one rack of ribs. Part of the reason that I feel the Small BGE cooks a single rack of ribs so well is the closeness of the dome to the meat. The radiant dome heat allows for the even cooking. By this method, as long as I get started by 1 PM, I know that everything will be ready for dinner and I can get a ton of work around the house done because I know that I do not have to worry about cooking. [p]I also agree with Chris on Spares vs. Baby Back. When a rack of Baby back ribs cost 4.29 a pound, I would rather eat steak.[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]