Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

was gonna buy another but.....

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a medium BGE and was planning on buying a large. However, I have already replaced the gasket once and now it needs to be replaced again and it's only a year old next month. To make a short story long,(I know) tonight I fired-up the egg for some pork tenderloins. Well, I got busy with other stuff and forgot about it for a few minutes. When I went back outside it was nearly "pegged out". So I got my loins and came back out to get the cooking started but my egg wouldn't open! I got a short 2x4 and tapped on the edges to loosen it up. It worked but about a third of the bottom gasket stuck to the top gasket. What seems to be the problem? Isn't it ok to "peg it out"? I love the BGE but if I have to replace the gasket twice a year, what's the point of buying another? Ryan

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    ryan in ms,
    The gasket can get glued together like that if you have too much of the gasket inside the egg or if you have a flashback and the flames escape out the opening and melt the gasket. When you drop the lid (I'm recalling how I had my first flashback, LOL) then the gaskets glue together. I've never had a gasket glue itself together since. If you find that the gasket is a continuing problem, you can replace it with a Rutland gasket. There have been posts about some other materials people have used for gaskets, but I don't recall the details. What info I have is on my FAQ:[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's FAQ[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • ranger ray
    Options
    ryan in ms,
    i use a bead of of high temp silicone (red stuff)....clean the lower rim....place a nice continuous bead of silicone on the lower lip only...cover with saran wrap(to keep it from sticking to the top)...close the lid....wait overnight....open the lid...remove saran wrap(or foil) and voila! you'll have a perfectly sealed gasket....my original gasket lasted less than 15 minutes....i emailed bge and they promptly sent a new one for free...still haven't used it...

• ranger ray,
    so you still have a regular gasket on the top?

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I have not had much of any problems with anything on my BGE. My gasket does need changing but I'll do until I have time to take care of it properly. I just wanted to send you a personal THANK YOU for the trouble you take to make us satisfied with our BGE. Whats seems like a mountain of pain and disaster turns into a mini speed bump in the road.Thanks Again !!!

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    Thanks, I appreciate the comments. I also appreciate everyone's tolerance for my humor. :-)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Chef Wil
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    your quite welcome, move over David Letterman, TNW is in da house!!!

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    ryan in ms,[p]I have 4 BGEs that have their original gaskets. The 1st one, about 3 years and the 2nd one 2 years are a little charred but still seal. Is it possible you are dripping food onto the gasket? That will cause it to stick as well as TNWs answer to you. Some other good responses posted already that I hope solve your problems. Go ahead and get the new large, I'm VERY happy with both of mine.[p]Chuck
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    ryan in ms,[p]I own multiple eggs and have had VERY FEW gasket or other issues. I too hope you can figure out what causes your gasket to deteriorate.
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    ryan in ms,
    Where are you located in Mississippi. I am in Brandon, and if I can help you E-Mail me and maybe I can be of assistance in helping you realize that the BGE is not an inferior product. The Egg is really a great product, second to none, especially to another ceramic cooker.
    The gasket is really not that big of a problem. Easily fixed.
    Hammer

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Mike,
    After reading your post, and that you are also being the Webmaster for Kamado, please enlighten me as to your assumption or inference that the BGE is an inferior product.
    What is this based on? Personal choice or test's? You have a right to your opinion, and I will defend your right to have it, but please inform me on your data. You can send me an E-Mail, rather than doing a product comparison on the Forum
    Thanks
    Hammer

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Hammer,[p]Is he really the webmaster? That is a shame because his actions are extremely unprofessional. Regardless of his personal opinion, acting in this manner reflects poorly not only on himself, but on his product. Good thing he doesn't work for me...he'd be out beating the streets as we speak.[p]mShark
  • Chef Wil
    Options
    MollyShark,
    I agree with you, if only we could stop bashing ourselves, the other forums and their members would really get upset seeing WE are more professional and therefore they may quit coming on our site and laughing at all the controversy. I am not perfect, I had a few words with a said person here, but I made a vow not to get caught up in childish play anymore. This forum is suppose to be informative and fun, so lets stop making fun of ourselves and move on, the others will die of boredom.

• BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    Hammer,[p]"Mike" is NOT the webmaster @ Kamado.[p]Period.[p]BOB
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]See my answer to Hammer.[p]BOB